Exploring the Possibility of Brakes on the Drive Shaft: A Discussion

In summary, the conversation is about whether it is possible to have brakes on the drive shaft or flywheel of a car. While it is possible, it is not a practical solution due to limitations such as increased stress and wear on the drive shaft and u-joints. Some examples of cars that have used this setup are mentioned, but it is not a common practice. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of dynamic or regenerative braking and asks for resources on this topic.
Chandrakiran
Brakes on Drive Shaft ??

HI all,

I am new to this forum. I have a doubt on braking system. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Why can not we have brake on drive shaft or some point at flywheel ??

Any discussion in this regard is appreciated. I am hoping to find a solution here.

Thanks!
Shekar

Engineering news on Phys.org
what is the problem with the brakes with wheel hub??

HI,

There is no problem with the brakes on hub. But anyway the wheel hub is rotating by a shaft which in turn rotating with a drive shaft. So a simple arrangement to stop or slowingdown the drive shaft, results the same, thus I can eliminate the brakes on wheel. What are the limitations I have to think like this ??

Shekar

If you put a brake on a car's drive shaft instead of one on each wheel, then if one wheel was getting traction but the other wasn't getting traction, you'd not be able to slow the car down.

Chandrakiran said:
HI all,

I am new to this forum. I have a doubt on braking system. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Why can not we have brake on drive shaft or some point at flywheel ??

Any discussion in this regard is appreciated. I am hoping to find a solution here.

Thanks!
Shekar
There would be the disadvantage of putting high stresses in the drive shaft or transmission to wheels, leading to increased wear or perhaps failure of the drive shaft, gears, joints or connecting rods between transmission and wheels.

On a car with two wheel drive - as opposed to 4-wheel - the braking on the drive shaft would affect only two wheels connected to the transmission, and one would still need additional breaking on the other two wheels.

There is a possibility to use dynamic (regenerative) breaking associated with the drive shaft, either electrically or mechanically.

like most other ideas on cars it has been done
early 60's BRM F-1 racers had a brake on the transaxle
problems with heat killed the transaxle brake

a flywheel is not a good place to brake and add heat
remember brakes work by making heat
and the flywheel needs to turn or the motor stops

I've only seen one setup where the brake was on the drive shaft, but early Jags and maybe a few other makes had inboard discs that worked on the axle shafts.
The drive shaft one was actually referred to as a differential brake, because it was attached where the drive shaft entered the banjo. It was on 'X-treme 4x4' (Spike channel), on a rock crawler.

Most drivehafts are made of thinwall tubing, u-joints are designed to transmit power of acceleration, and stopping a fast moving vehicle will in many cases involve far more stress on these two items, than they will endure.
Many big trucks, and lots of heavy machinery have brakes on drive shafts, but the purpose is only to hold a stationary position.

HI all,

Thanks for the time and discussion. I understand now, the limitations to have a brake system on drive shaft.

But added to this, suppose if I am thinking of a 4 wheel drive, with a brake arrangement on front / rear transaxle, with a sufficient method to heat dissipation, I must be able to design a brake system right ?

Can anyone help me in providing some information about Dynamic ( Regernerative) braking system ? Some useful site ??

Related to Exploring the Possibility of Brakes on the Drive Shaft: A Discussion

1. How do brakes on the drive shaft work?

Brakes on the drive shaft work by applying pressure to the rotating drive shaft, slowing down or stopping the rotation. This is typically done through the use of brake pads or shoes that press against the drive shaft, creating friction and reducing its speed.

2. What are the benefits of having brakes on the drive shaft?

The main benefit of having brakes on the drive shaft is improved control and safety while driving. By being able to slow down or stop the rotation of the drive shaft, the driver has better control over the vehicle and can prevent accidents or collisions.

3. How often do brakes on the drive shaft need to be replaced?

The frequency of brake replacement depends on various factors such as driving habits, vehicle weight, and quality of the brakes. Generally, brakes on the drive shaft should be inspected and replaced as needed during routine maintenance checks.

4. What can cause brakes on the drive shaft to fail?

Brakes on the drive shaft can fail due to a variety of reasons, including wear and tear from regular use, overheating, and contamination from debris or fluid leaks. Poor maintenance and improper installation can also contribute to brake failure.

5. How can I tell if there is an issue with the brakes on my drive shaft?

Some common signs of brake issues on the drive shaft include unusual noises such as squeaking or grinding, vibrations felt while driving, and difficulty stopping or slowing down. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to have your brakes inspected and repaired by a professional as soon as possible.