Exploring the Possibilities of Planet Explosions: A Simulation Study

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential outcome of igniting the inner core of planet Earth with TNT and the effects it would have on the planet. It is suggested that most of the energy would be absorbed as heat and that the planet would not explode due to the amount of TNT. The possibility of a thermonuclear explosion is also mentioned, and it is theorized that it would result in a series of events similar to a supernova. The conversation also briefly touches on the violent nature of the universe and the impact events that have shaped Earth and its moon.
Steffo
I know planets are very stable and don't explode, but here's something I would love a physicist to run on a powerful computer, maybe using some FEM model. Let's say we will the inner core of planet Earth with TNT, say a sphere with radius 2000 km and ignite it. What would the explosion look like from an observer say halfway between Earth and moon? I'm sure it's very very different from what Hollywood tells us and that it would be a pretty awesome and prolonged event.

Perhaps someone has already done this and you can point me to the YouTube video?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think most of the energy would be absorbed by the planet as heat. You'd probably have lots of earthquakes along fault lines, but I doubt even an insane amount of TNT like that could blow up the whole planet. A thermonuclear explosion would be able to do it, in which case I would think that the series of events would unfold very similarly to a supernova, just on a much smaller scale. It'd probably puff out in a massive fireball, then collapse back in on itself and reform as a ball of molten liquid.

The universe is violent, Earth went through some impacts early on that probably blasted it apart more than once. Our moon was formed by a planet the size of Mars smashing into our planet, the energy given off would have been significantly more than what you described.

Related to Exploring the Possibilities of Planet Explosions: A Simulation Study

1. What is the purpose of simulating exploding planets?

The purpose of simulating exploding planets is to study the physical processes and dynamics involved in the destruction of a planet, which can help us better understand the formation and evolution of our own solar system and other planetary systems in the universe.

2. How do scientists simulate exploding planets?

Scientists use computer simulations and mathematical models to recreate the conditions and events that lead to the explosion of a planet. These simulations involve complex calculations and incorporate various factors such as the planet's composition, size, and surrounding environment.

3. What are the potential causes of a planet's explosion?

There are several potential causes of a planet's explosion, including collisions with other celestial bodies, internal heating and pressure, and external influences such as radiation from a nearby star. Each of these factors can result in different types of explosions and have different effects on the planet.

4. Can simulating exploding planets help prevent catastrophic events on Earth?

While simulating exploding planets can provide valuable insights into planetary dynamics, it is not directly applicable to preventing catastrophic events on Earth. However, the knowledge gained from these simulations can aid in developing strategies for planetary defense and disaster mitigation.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying exploding planets?

Studying exploding planets can have real-world applications in fields such as astrophysics, planetary science, and space exploration. It can also provide valuable information for understanding the potential hazards and risks posed by celestial bodies in our solar system and beyond.