Exploring the Possibilities of Faster-Than-Light Warp Drives

In summary: True. Causality is an important principle. But I'm not too worried about that. I hope that NASA will roll out some concrete preliminary tests soon.
tade
Popular Science has been running an article about Sonny White, a prominent engineer at NASA's JSC.

White has been attempting to realize a warp drive as theorized by Miguel Alcubierre of UNAM in Mexico.

Warp Factor

Faster-Than-Light Drive

Negative energy, spacetime bubbles propelling a craft faster than light.

Physics news on Phys.org
tade said:
Negative energy, spacetime bubbles propelling a craft faster than light.

... to boldly go into FTL causality violations.

1977ub said:
... to boldly go into FTL causality violations.

technically there are no CVs within the space time bubble.

tade said:
technically there are no CVs within the space time bubble.

"within the bubble" is not the problem. in the context of the surrounding universe, you are going FTL.

If you travel FTL "within the bubble" or if you do it by snapping your fingers, CV is implied. If you could fit the entire universe with you "within the bubble" then there'd be no problem CV-wise.

Here's a whole big jolly board discussion in which someone [who was a physics student at MIT] attempted to make this point and was rebutted with various assertions.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4536320

more with him:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4535481

The FAQ he refers to:
http://www.physicsguy.com/ftl/html/FTL_part4.html

You can work out a simple example with a train, a platform, and 2 FTL signaling devices which violates causality. You can arrange to be push a button and then shot with a laser beam before you pushed the button. It certainly makes no difference how the FTL signal gets there or whether causality is violated within the mechanism itself. Once you embed an intentional FTL event in a larger context, causality can easily be violated for observers/events in that larger context.

Last edited:
1977ub said:
"within the bubble" is not the problem. in the context of the surrounding universe, you are going FTL.

If you travel FTL "within the bubble" or if you do it by snapping your fingers, CV is implied. If you could fit the entire universe with you "within the bubble" then there'd be no problem CV-wise.

Here's a whole big jolly board discussion in which someone [who was a physics student at MIT] attempted to make this point and was rebutted with various assertions.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4536320

more with him:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4535481

The FAQ he refers to:
http://www.physicsguy.com/ftl/html/FTL_part4.html

You can work out a simple example with a train, a platform, and 2 FTL signaling devices which violates causality. You can arrange to be push a button and then shot with a laser beam before you pushed the button. It certainly makes no difference how the FTL signal gets there or whether causality is violated within the mechanism itself. Once you embed an intentional FTL event in a larger context, causality can easily be violated for observers/events in that larger context.

There's a lot of confusion going on in that discussion.
On a side note, I've heard that Alcubierre's workings are perfectly valid within GR.

At least NASA is boldly going... "where no man has gone before".:cool:

tade said:
On a side note, I've heard that Alcubierre's workings are perfectly valid within GR.

At least NASA is boldly going... "where no man has gone before".:cool:

It seems pretty clear to me that the "confusion" exists on the part of individuals who are more enthusiastic and less educated :)

Who is the most educated person you can find who believes that FTL does not imply CV?

1977ub said:
It seems pretty clear to me that the "confusion" exists on the part of individuals who are more enthusiastic and less educated :)

Who is the most educated person you can find who believes that FTL does not imply CV?

Isn't it similar to recession velocities being FTL due to curved spacetime? I don't really know, I'm clueless on GR.

I'm new to PF, not familiar with many people yet.

tade said:
Isn't it similar to recession velocities being FTL due to curved spacetime? I don't really know, I'm clueless on GR.

I'm new to PF, not familiar with many people yet.

i was thinking in terms of scouring the internet, or reading the news. The enthusiasm that a warp drive can go FTL without raising CV issues seems to be an uninformed position.

1977ub said:
i was thinking in terms of scouring the internet, or reading the news. The enthusiasm that a warp drive can go FTL without raising CV issues seems to be an uninformed position.

True. Causality is an important principle.

But I'm not too worried about that. I hope that NASA will roll out some concrete preliminary tests soon.
It's probably a vain hope. :redface:

tade said:

It does not violate GR but it can be used to violate causality by making a round trip using two different bubbles. The paper I linked in post #5 here and in the other thread explains this in detail.

cuberoot said:
It does not violate GR but it can be used to violate causality by making a round trip using two different bubbles. The paper I linked in post #5 here and in the other thread explains this in detail.

I guess it does. We'll just need to wait for NASA.

I found this article fascinating on some hazards associated with the use of the alcubierre drive. If this is correct you may never want to use it.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.5708

tade said:
I guess it does. We'll just need to wait for NASA.

Perhaps the various interested parties at NASA are confident that some guardian angel will prevent CVs.

1977ub said:
Perhaps the various interested parties at NASA are confident that some guardian angel will prevent CVs.

Lol. If they cause CVs they might end up changing the fate of the human race or something like that.

Makes for good sci-fi at least. :-p

Related to Exploring the Possibilities of Faster-Than-Light Warp Drives

1. What is a faster-than-light warp drive?

A faster-than-light warp drive is a hypothetical concept in physics that would allow a spacecraft to travel faster than the speed of light. It is based on the idea of warping or distorting space-time, rather than physically moving through it, to achieve faster-than-light travel.

2. Is faster-than-light travel possible with a warp drive?

While the idea of a faster-than-light warp drive is theoretically possible according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it has not been proven to be possible through current scientific knowledge and technology. It is still considered a speculative concept and a subject of ongoing research and exploration.

3. How would a faster-than-light warp drive work?

A faster-than-light warp drive would work by creating a bubble or field of warped space-time around the spacecraft. This would allow the spacecraft to essentially "ride" the warped space-time and travel faster than the speed of light without violating the laws of physics.

4. What are the potential benefits of a faster-than-light warp drive?

If a faster-than-light warp drive were to become a reality, it would revolutionize space travel and exploration. It would significantly decrease the travel time between distant planets and allow for exploration of far-off galaxies and star systems. It could also have implications for future technologies and advancements in physics.

5. What are the potential drawbacks or limitations of a faster-than-light warp drive?

One of the main limitations of a faster-than-light warp drive is that it requires an immense amount of energy to create and sustain the warp field. This could make it impractical and unfeasible for current technology. Additionally, the effects of traveling faster than the speed of light on the human body and spacecraft are still unknown and could potentially be harmful.