Can We Warp Space Faster Than C? | IXS Enterprise | NASA

In summary: The ship in the video is a computer-generated model.In summary, the video is a promotional piece for a computer-generated model of a ship that is not actually a physical object, and which is not likely to become a reality.
kolleamm
I saw a NASA video on Facebook, about a warp drive proof of concept ship, The IXS Enterprise. It's supposed to travel to distant places at faster than light speed by warping the space around it, but that leads me to think if you can warp space faster than the speed of light.
Is it possible? If not, then I don't really see much point in warping space, in comparison to other propulsion methods.

Physics news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
I saw a NASA video on Facebook, about a warp drive proof of concept ship, The IXS Enterprise. It's supposed to travel to distant places at faster than light speed by warping the space around it, but that leads me to think if you can warp space faster than the speed of light.
Is it possible? If not, then I don't really see much point in warping space, in comparison to other propulsion methods.
I think either you misunderstood what you saw or the source was unreliable. Please give a SPECIFIC citation and make sure it is an acceptable one, and then we might have something to discuss. "I saw a video" is not a citation at all.

I'm trying to get the link to the video but it appears to be posted by an unreliable source just to Facebook.
Here is a very similar video discussing faster than light speed and the warp drive

I quote a person in the comments
"No, it is not possible to travel faster than the speed of light but it is possible for spacetime to move faster than the speed of light."

Not sure if he's right though.

Probably a reference to the Alcubierre Drive (I haven't watched the video, but a couple of the slides being presented look rather like the picture on Wikipedia). It's definitely in the category of "if these few impossible things were possible we could travel faster than light". The key requirement is negative mass matter, which we've never seen and have no real reason to believe exists. Sadly.

Likes Dale
Ibix said:
Probably a reference to the Alcubierre Drive (I haven't watched the video, but a couple of the slides being presented look rather like the picture on Wikipedia). It's definitely in the category of "if these few impossible things were possible we could travel faster than light". The key requirement is negative mass matter, which we've never seen and have no real reason to believe exists. Sadly.
Alcubierre Drive that's the one! It was mentioned in the video I saw first on Facebook.

kolleamm said:
Alcubierre Drive that's the one! It was mentioned in the video I saw first on Facebook.
The Alcubierre Drive is a sci-fic fan's wet dream, not a reality or anything that is likely to become a reality. Certainly NASA does not have a prototype of such a drive since it requires impossible (as far as we know) physics and the existence of such a drive would be HUGE news.

kolleamm said:
I saw a NASA video on Facebook, about a warp drive proof of concept ship, The IXS Enterprise.

"Proof of concept" is a bit of a misnomer, since NASA neither has built such a ship, nor plans to build one, nor has even shown that building one is physically possible. (According to most physicists, it isn't, as phinds has pointed out.)

Related to Can We Warp Space Faster Than C? | IXS Enterprise | NASA

1. Can we actually warp space faster than the speed of light (C)?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence or technology that suggests we can warp space faster than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe.

2. What is the IXS Enterprise?

The IXS Enterprise is a hypothetical spacecraft design proposed by NASA engineer Harold White. It is designed to potentially achieve faster-than-light travel by warping space-time around the ship. However, this design is still in the conceptual stage and has not been built or tested yet.

3. Is NASA actively working on developing the IXS Enterprise?

Currently, NASA is not actively working on building the IXS Enterprise. While the concept has been explored and researched, there are many technological challenges and limitations that must be overcome before it can become a reality.

4. What are the potential implications of faster-than-light travel?

If it were possible to travel faster than the speed of light, it would open up the possibility for interstellar travel and exploration of distant galaxies. It would also revolutionize space travel and significantly reduce travel time for astronauts. However, it is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible.

5. How does the concept of warping space-time relate to faster-than-light travel?

Warping space-time is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests it is possible to manipulate the fabric of space and time. This could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel by creating a "shortcut" through space-time, rather than traveling through it. However, this concept is still in the early stages of research and development.