Exploring the Normal Force on a Slanted Slope

In summary, In this situation, the floor exerts a normal force on the chair which is different from the forces exerted on the box and the slope.
BSCS
I'm trying to think up situations that will help me understand more complicated situations...

Let's say I have:

a box
on a slanted slope
on a chair
on the floor

The floor exerts a normal force on the chair. But, equal to what?

is it:

a box [tex]m_{1}gcos\theta[/tex]

on a slanted slope [tex]m_{2}g[/tex]

on a chair [tex]m_{3}g[/tex]

on the floor

Is it the sum of these?

Also, would motion of the box along the inclined plane affect the result? It would seem to be "no".

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried drawing a FBD?

Yes, and it/they were getting complex, so I wanted to get some feedback. I came up with the force exerted down on the chair as having an x component and a y component (different from what I posted). From there I was thinking I could apply that vector to the FBD of the chair and come up with my answer. Is such a "cascading of forces" approach correct?

BSCS said:
Yes, and it/they were getting complex, so I wanted to get some feedback. I came up with the force exerted down on the chair as having an x component and a y component (different from what I posted). From there I was thinking I could apply that vector to the FBD of the chair and come up with my answer. Is such a "cascading of forces" approach correct?
Yes, from what I understand you to have described that is correct. Perhaps if you posted you FBD's we could comment further.

BSCS said:
Let's say I have:

a box
on a slanted slope
on a chair
on the floor

The floor exerts a normal force on the chair. But, equal to what?

is it:

a box [tex]m_{1}gcos\theta[/tex]

on a slanted slope [tex]m_{2}g[/tex]

on a chair [tex]m_{3}g[/tex]

on the floor

Is it the sum of these?
Huh? Are you describing one situation (a box on a chair which is on a slanted slope?) or multiple situations? What are those masses?

Related to Exploring the Normal Force on a Slanted Slope

1. What is the normal force on a slanted slope?

The normal force on a slanted slope is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts to prevent the object from sinking into the surface.

2. How is the normal force calculated on a slanted slope?

The normal force on a slanted slope can be calculated using the formula: N = mg cosθ, where N is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the slope.

3. How does the normal force change on a slanted slope?

The normal force on a slanted slope can change depending on the angle of the slope and the weight of the object. As the angle of the slope increases, the normal force decreases. Similarly, as the weight of the object increases, the normal force also increases.

4. How does the normal force affect the motion of an object on a slanted slope?

The normal force plays a crucial role in the motion of an object on a slanted slope. It helps to balance out the force of gravity, allowing the object to stay in place or move at a constant speed without slipping. If the normal force is too low, the object may slide down the slope due to the force of gravity.

5. Why is the normal force important to consider when exploring slanted slopes?

The normal force is important to consider when exploring slanted slopes because it affects the stability and motion of objects on the slope. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the forces acting on an object and can help predict its behavior on different slopes. Additionally, understanding the normal force can aid in designing structures and machines that will be used on slanted surfaces.