Exploring the Multiverse: Theories and Visual Models

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the multiverse theory and its visual representation as separate bubbles floating in space. The individual universes within the multiverse are connected through a vortex, allowing for the flow of energy, time, and matter. The volume and change of each universe is determined by this flow, with some universes expanding while others collapse. The idea of a collapsing universe pulling other universes together is also mentioned, forming a network of universes in the multiverse. The conversation concludes with the mention of the cosmic natural selection hypothesis and the speaker's interest in learning more about the topic."
swiss_rebel
Hi first post. I am not a physics major (two basic courses in college) but was watching a mini lecture on the multiverse theory that got me thinking. I've seen a few programs and their very simplified Lehman's explanation of this concept. The only visual model I've seen portrayed was like many separate bubbles floating freely and independently in space. I stress that I am no professional on the subject so please go easy on me. But this is what I came up with...http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1889/20120423183559458.jpg
Shot at 2012-04-23I have bad handwriting so this is what I've written underneath the drawing:

"One universe's black hole is another's big bang. Energy, time and matter flow proportionately from universe to universe via this vortex [marked with an "x" at each point on my drawing]. The volume, or change in volume over time is determined by its net flow of energy, time and matter in each individual universe. Thus a universe is either expanding or collapsing. A collapsing universe can flow entirely into another or, if connecting two other universes [or more than two], pull them together under the force of its own gravitational contraction. This network of universes forms the multiverse."

Thoughts? Point me in the right direction I'm very interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lee Smolin beat you to the punch with his cosmic natural selection hypothesis.

Related to Exploring the Multiverse: Theories and Visual Models

1. What is multiverse theory?

Multiverse theory is a scientific concept that suggests the existence of multiple universes or realities beyond our own. These universes may have different physical laws, dimensions, and histories.

2. What evidence supports multiverse theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of a multiverse. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory and inflationary cosmology, suggest the possibility of multiple universes. Additionally, the observation of cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of matter in the universe also provide support for the idea of a multiverse.

3. How does multiverse theory relate to the concept of parallel universes?

Parallel universes are a common concept in science fiction and are often associated with multiverse theory. However, parallel universes refer to alternate versions of our own universe, while multiverse theory suggests the existence of multiple, separate universes with distinct properties.

4. Is it possible to travel to other universes in the multiverse?

Currently, there is no known way to travel to other universes in the multiverse. The laws of physics in each universe may be vastly different, making it difficult or impossible for us to interact with them. Some theories propose the existence of "wormholes" or "portals" that could potentially allow for travel between universes, but these ideas are still purely speculative.

5. Does the concept of a multiverse have any implications for our own universe?

Multiverse theory has sparked much debate among scientists and philosophers about the implications it may have for our understanding of the universe. Some argue that the existence of a multiverse could help explain certain phenomena, such as the fine-tuning of physical constants in our universe. Others argue that the idea of a multiverse is untestable and therefore has no real implications for our understanding of our own universe.