Exploring the Meaning of Ontology: Easy for Kids, Hard for Quantum Physicists

In summary, ontology is the concept of what exists in the world, postulated by a certain theory. It can be understood by children in terms of their everyday experiences, but many mature physicists struggle with understanding it. It is a point of contention between realists and anti-realists, and often used sloppily by physicists. Ultimately, ontology is binary and refers to the existence of things in the real world, rather than just in our imagination.
PeterDonis said:
I said nothing whatever about the Kolmogorov axioms. I was responding to your claim about the CHSH inequality. It seems odd to say that that inequality is "achieving its purpose very well" when it makes predictions that are falsified by experiments.
Oh, sorry. I though the idea of the inequality was to provide a tool to decide the question that Einstein has put up via an experiment. It's achieving its goal by deciding/settling the problem, no?

Of course not everyone may like the outcome but that's an entierly different matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Killtech said:
CHSH and Tsirelson deal with the concept of locality. You cannot take that part away from those and expect them to hold anyway. Or do you actually claim that those have nothing to do with locality?
Yes. They're simply constraints on any four binary random variables sharing a common probability space.

Killtech said:
I though the idea of the inequality was to provide a tool to decide the question that Einstein has put up via an experiment. It's achieving its goal by deciding/settling the problem, no?
If you mean that experimentally showing that the CHSH inequality is violated rules out certain types of models, sure, that goal has been achieved. But the claims you are making don't appear to be about ruling out certain types of models. You appear to have some specific type of model in mind that is not ruled out and that somehow "explains" QM without all the problems that other people see. If you do, you should give a specific reference that tells us what that model is, so we have a basis for discussion. For example, if you think some version of "Kolmogorov theory" does the job, give us a reference that explains what that theory is and what predictions it makes.

Likes gentzen, mattt and PeroK
CelHolo said:
Yes. They're simply constraints on any four binary random variables sharing a common probability space.
Oh boy. The whole point of the exercise is the assumption that the quantum systems in Alice and Bobs lab cannot communicate. But if that isolation restriction (which is trying to represent the core property of distance) is lifted, then there is just nothing preventing the violating the inequality by as much as possible, even beyond Tsirelson's bound. If the system in Alice's lab can tell Bob's what it settled for during its measurement and before Bob's system was measured, then of course it can conveniently change itself to whatever it needs to to produce any desired distribution.

If you allow Einsteins "spooky action at range" to be involved in the experiment, then of course you can violate any such inequality.

Why do you think we even put so much effort into these kind of experiments to make them at a distance, specifically deciding the orientation of the measured axis only after the two photons were emitted, if distance doesn't even have a role to play?? Are you suggesting physicists just waste a lot of tax payer money for nothing?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
I think you just don't know the mathematics, it's quite easy to derive the CHSH inequalities from the assumption of a common probability space. See Streater's Lost Causes in theoretical physics for a full explanation.

Likes dextercioby, mattt and PeroK
CelHolo said:
I think you just don't know the mathematics, it's quite easy to derive the CHSH inequalities from the assumption of a common probability space. See Streater's Lost Causes in theoretical physics for a full explanation.
Break that common probability space into that of a two step stochastic process - i.e. deviate from the assumptions made for CHSH but which is still perfectly fine within Kolmogorovs framework.

Now you have 4 random variables ##A_t## and ##B_t## with ##t \epsilon \{0,1\}## for measurement instead of the two you had before. The first two represent the measurement which comes first - technically either Alice or Bob could be first. You can however only execute one measurement at a time and have to progress and update the system afterwards. So we have to decide for either measure ##A_0## or ##B_0## and lose the ability to measure the other permanently. In order to make the next measure we need to progress by applying a transition matrix representing our interaction with the complete system (our first measurement). Then we have to pick the random variable ##B_1## or ##A_1## whichever is complimentary to the one we picked first and measure it.

Since the transition matrix can reorder probabilities in any possible way and also has the information about our interaction we can easily pick it to update the probability space to whatever it needs to be. It is the one that gives us a massive degree of freedom which we don't have if we put both measurements into the same ##t## level of the process.

I case this sounded somehow familiar, this is just the very same old process you have for a collapse interpretation, except that you restate it in terms of a Markov transition matrix. So it's a terribly old idea that we know works fine enough. So pure classical QT framework, just a marginally different terminology.

Killtech said:
Break that common probability space into that of a two step stochastic process - i.e. deviate from the assumptions made for CHSH but which is still perfectly fine within Kolmogorovs framework.
As I have already asked you once, please give a reference for the specific model that you have in mind. You can't just wave your hands. Either there is a valid reference describing a specific model with the properties you keep claiming, or there isn't.

vanhees71 said:
Well, if ontology is about what Kant called "Ding an sich" (I don't know, how to translate Kant into English), then it's something not subject to the natural sciences, because the natural sciences are about nature as can be objectively observed. Objectively means the observations must be reproducible and independent from the individual making the expression.

Take, e.g., classical electrodynamics and the electromagnetic field. Is the classical electromagnetic field ontic, providing an "ontology of light"? I don't know, because if one thinks about it, it's just a mathematical framework describing the phenomena of emission of "light" (e.g., the Sun as a thermal light source) and its registration at some distant place. We never directly observe the field but just its action on some matter. Usually it's the photoelectric effect which provides a signal in a detector (photoplate, CCD cam, the retina of our eyes etc). So "is light really" the electromagnetic field or is it the photo electron ejected from matter which then leads to a "signal" we can preceive?

I think an answer to this question is pretty irrelevant from the point of view of the natural sciences. It's simply easier to talk about the electromagnetic field about some "thing" with a kinematics and dynamics in its own right as if it were something like a substance though for a substance it doesn't have a typical "substance-like" (charge-like) conserved quantity. It basically has been introduced by Faraday (based on his experience with experiments and observations) and then brought in a mathematical form by Maxwell to have a concise way to talk about these electromagnetic phenomena.
Pushed to it's limit, neither the light nor the electron is ontic. They are all "things" we merely theorize from our perceptions. At one time there were different theories explaining those same perceptions, e.g. when the Greeks thought of vision as rays that reached out from one's eye. This seems to point to Quine's concept of ontologies as whatever entities are assumed in one's theory of the world.

Likes gentzen, WernerQH and vanhees71
From an ontological point of view, either there is a physical wave of there is not. If you wish to assert there is not and ψ is just a mathematical convenience, then how do you account for the following paper: Lundeen, J. S., Sutherland, B., Patel, A., Stewart, C., Bamber, C. 2011. Direct measurement of the quantum wavefunction. Nature 474: 188 – 191.

If it's real how do you explain that the same result can be obtained by Feynmann's path integral method?

Likes AlexCaledin
I think RQM’s ‘anti-realist’ reference is itself also arguably axiomatically ontic.

Last edited:
meekerdb said:
If it's real how do you explain that the same result can be obtained by Feynmann's path integral method?
First, for me the observation overrides any theoretical concern. If it is not there, how can you measure a phase shift? Second, does not the path integral method effectively give the least action result? If so, the same action determines the phase shift of the wave, does it not?

PeroK said:
This leaves us with two possibilities:

1) QM is manifestly incomplete - and anyone who believes in orthodox QM must lack something in terms of the intellectual capability to think logically. I.e. they embrace an obvious contradiction.

2) You place excessive demands on a fundamental theorem of nature that, from a matter purely of logical consistency, are not required. I.e. there is no inconsistency, only your perception that this particular fundamental theory of nature is deficient.
When orthodox QM is presented in instrumental form, just as a set of practical rules for computing probabilities of measurement outcomes, it's perfectly consistent. But I see inconsistencies when the orthodox guys start to make a philosophy out of it, i.e. when they try to explain what those rules mean at a deeper level. (The very first inconsistency that many of them commit is that they use philosophy to argue that one should not do philosophy.) Anyway, if some of my demands are too excessive, I would like to know what those demands are.

Likes Lynch101, gentzen, physika and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
Anyway, if some of my demands are too excessive, I would like to know what those demands are.
My understanding of this thread in broad terms is that orthodox QM does not demand that all measurables have well-defined values at all times and that you believe that this makes QM incomplete and inevitably leads to philosophical inconsistencies.

Demystifier said:
But I see inconsistencies when the orthodox guys start to make a philosophy out of it, i.e. when they try to explain what those rules mean at a deeper level. (The very first inconsistency that many of them commit is that they use philosophy to argue that one should not do philosophy.)
I can well understand that. It's impossible to be totally aphilosophical (since, as you point out, even arguing to keep philosophy out of physics is a philosophy in itself). From my point of view, the whole debate about ontology is a quagmire from which it may be impossible to emerge. I would say - and this is more than "shut up and calculate" - that even if the philosophical questions that QM raises are unanswerable, then this could equally be seen as a warning against expecting too much from a philosophical analysis of natural science.

Last edited:
Likes martinbn, Lord Jestocost and vanhees71
Ian J Miller said:
then how do you account for the following paper: Lundeen, J. S., Sutherland, B., Patel, A., Stewart, C., Bamber, C. 2011. Direct measurement of the quantum wavefunction
This was dealt with long ago by Bill Unruh and others. It's impossible to directly measure the quantum state, just as it is impossible to directly measure any set of probability distributions, what they actually do is measure a POVM with postselection.

Today papers about weak measurements aren't formulated in terms of measuring the state.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and PeroK
Demystifier said:
So you are saying that the state always exists, while values of the observables exist only when they are measured, is that right? But it creates a lot of additional questions:
One must be more careful to formulate things right. It is an indication that we don't do this properly, because we always start from scratch. I come more and more to the conclusion that there's no way to make progress, but here's one more try:

A quantum system is described by states, represented by a statistical operator in Hilbert space. A state is operationally defined by an equivalence class of preparation procedures.

Observables are operationally defined by an equivalence class measurement procedures. The preparation in a state at some initial time ##t_0## implies the propabilities (and only the probabilities) for the outcome of measurements of any observable you decide to measure. An observable has a determined value, if with 100% probability a measurement of this observable results in this value. Otherwise the observable does not have a determined value.

A measurement a priori does not prepare the system. It depends on the measurement device, whether you are able to perform a von Neuman filter procedure (confusingly often called a filter measurement in the literature) or not.

Demystifier said:
1. Why do values not exist before measurement?
The quantum formalism is the result of many observations and experimental facts. There is no sensible way to answer such "why questions" in the natural sciences, which figure out as precisely as possible how Nature behaves but never can answer why she behaves the way she does. Discussions concerning this quesions touch the realm of religion and are not subject of the natural sciences.
Demystifier said:
2. How the values know that there is a measurement out there?
Measurements are interactions between the measurement device and the measured object. The dynamics is described by quantum (statistical) theory.
Demystifier said:
3. What's the precise definition of measurement?
It's given by a concrete measurment apparatus.
Demystifier said:
4. Can measurement be derived from something more fundamental, or is measurement a primitive concept?
The construction of measurment devices is based on the known natural laws as any technical development. The "primitive concepts" behind this constructions thus are the corresponding theories describing them.
Demystifier said:
5. Does a value (randomly created in a measurement) have influence on the state?
Of course the state of the measured system changes due to the interaction with the measurement device. Whether or not the system persists to exist, i.e., can be in a meaningful way separated from the measurement device an/or "the environment" depends on the specifics of the measurement device. Thus this is a question to be answered theoretically using the theory but it cannot be answered by inventing some new fundamental postulate of the theory.
Demystifier said:
6. If the answer to 5. is "yes", does this influence violate unitarity, linearity, locality and/or the Schrodinger equation?
A closed system's dynamics is described by unitary time evolution. Attempts to extend QT beyond this standard formulation so far failed (or there are even counterarguments, e.g., by Susskind et al concerning the use of Lindblad equations generalizing the unitary time evolution of the standard theory).

Since measurement devices are at some point necessarily macroscopic devices it is impossible to describe this unitary time evolution completely and one has to use the methods of quantum statistical physics to find an effective description of the macroscopically relevant degrees of freedom, involving coarse-graining, dissipation, and entropy production, i.e., in terms of a description of the relevant degrees of freedom in the sense of an open quantum system. This is unavoidable to get a well-established "stored" measurement result, i.e., there is necessarily some irreversibility involved in establishing a measurement result.

All this has been formulated already in the very early days of QT by Bohr, but today are almost 100 years further and have a plethora of methods to treat open quantum systems mathematically in a clear way.

Likes gentzen, mattt, CelHolo and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
So you are saying that the state always exists, while values of the observables exist only when they are measured, is that right? But it creates a lot of additional questions:
1. Why do values not exist before measurement?
2. How the values know that there is a measurement out there?
3. What's the precise definition of measurement?
4. Can measurement be derived from something more fundamental, or is measurement a primitive concept?
5. Does a value (randomly created in a measurement) have influence on the state?
6. If the answer to 5. is "yes", does this influence violate unitarity, linearity, locality and/or the Schrodinger equation
likewise, why don't they take, any possible value, for example up and up.
the entangled pair.

Demystifier said:
But I see inconsistencies when the orthodox guys start to make a philosophy out of it, i.e. when they try to explain what those rules mean at a deeper level. (The very first inconsistency that many of them commit is that they use philosophy to argue that one should not do philosophy.)

Excellent.

Likes Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
The quantum formalism is the result of many observations and experimental facts. There is no sensible way to answer such "why questions" in the natural sciences, which figure out as precisely as possible how Nature behaves but never can answer why she behaves the way she does
Yeah I find this an odd question. To make scientific progress we had to realize that often most/all observables do not have a well-defined value. To me it would be like having a problem with GR because nobody has told you "why" spacetime is curved. Isn't QM a success because it correctly captures these new fascinating aspects of nature?

Likes mattt, AlexCaledin and vanhees71
PeroK said:
My understanding of this thread in broad terms is that orthodox QM does not demand that all measurables have well-defined values at all times and that you believe that this makes QM incomplete and inevitably leads to philosophical inconsistencies.
Not exactly. I can accept a theory in which some values are not always defined, as far as the theory clearly specifies sufficient and necessary conditions for the values to become defined. The usual condition that it happens when those are "measured" is just not clear enough, unless one also makes a clear definition of measurement. It is this typical lack of clarity that makes it incomplete, which does not necessarily make it inconsistent. The inconsistencies usually appear in the second step, when people who are well trained in physics and math try to do philosophy.

Likes gentzen
vanhees71 said:
An observable has a determined value, if with 100% probability a measurement of this observable results in this value.
EPR started from the same postulate and, by assuming also locality, derived that QM is incomplete. I know that you disagree with EPR, but I don't see any consistent way to disagree with them given those two premises.

The usual condition is not that the observables are measured but that the system is prepared in a state such that the observable in question takes a determined value. It is utmost important to distinguish between preparations and measurements, i.e., to distinguish between states and observables. Otherwise you must run into inconsistencies when discussing quantum theory.

Likes CelHolo
Demystifier said:
EPR started from the same postulate and, by assuming also locality, derived that QM is incomplete. I know that you disagree with EPR, but I don't see any consistent way to disagree with them given those two premises.
But they said clearly what they mean by incomplete. In that sense QM is incomplete no question about it. Was that a useful definition?

Likes physika, gentzen and Demystifier
Demystifier said:
I disagree with EPR, because local relativistic QFT is a model, where locality and indeterminism is fully consistently discribed. For me EPR is completely refuted by the demonstration of the violation of Bell's inequalities.

Likes CelHolo and PeroK
vanhees71 said:
I disagree with EPR, because local relativistic QFT is a model, where locality and indeterminism is fully consistently discribed. For me EPR is completely refuted by the demonstration of the violation of Bell's inequalities.
I don't understand in which part you disagree with EPR?

EPR say that if you can predict with 100% certainty a value of a dynamical variable the theory should account for it, otherwise the theory is incomplete. QM clearly is incomplete in that sense. Bell showed something that implies that if you complete the theory to include all those values, the completed theory will be non-local. To me all this means that you shouldn't try to EPR-complete a theory. And if a theory is EPR-incomplete so what! It does seem like a demand on the theory that comes form classical prejudice anyway.

Likes physika, gentzen, Demystifier and 1 other person
I think this describes best what I mean: "And if a theory is EPR-incomplete so what!" You can rephrase my opinion as that relativistic local (!) QFT, as the most comprehensive and accurate description of nature we have today and precisely predicts quantitatively how Bell's inequalities are violated, shows that Nature can be better described by an EPR-incomplete theory.

Whether there is a then indeed necessarily nonlocal EPR-complete theory as "complete" in describing Nature as relativistic local QFT or not, I don't know. I also don't know, why this should be a "better" theory than QFT. I also don't think that Bohmian mechanics is in any way to be preferred to standard non-relativistic QM, because it's more complicated and doesn't describe more phenomena than the standard theory.

Likes PeroK, martinbn and CelHolo
vanhees71 said:
Whether there is a then indeed necessarily nonlocal EPR-complete theory as "complete" in describing Nature as relativistic local QFT or not, I don't know
To be honest given the near century we've had of not needing such a theory while increasing our understanding of nature while remaining in the "EPR-incomplete" theory and all the no-go theorems against the EPR style theories, it's fruitless to keep seeking an EPR theory.

Likes vanhees71 and martinbn
vanhees71 said:
That's an utter nonsense. To agree with EPR means to agree that their assumptions logically imply their conclusions. No experiment can refute a validity of a logical argument. A logical argument can only be refuted by another logical argument. The logical assumptions of EPR are QM and locality, which you accept. Their logical conclusion is incompleteness, which is not refuted by experimental violation of Bell's inequalities.

• Skeptical
Likes physika and PeroK
martinbn said:
But they said clearly what they mean by incomplete. In that sense QM is incomplete no question about it. Was that a useful definition?
Yes it was. When combined with the Bell's result, now we know that if we want to complete QM in this sense, we must abandon locality (in the EPR-Bell sense).

Demystifier said:
Yes it was. When combined with the Bell's result, now we know that if we want to complete QM in this sense, we must abandon locality (in the EPR-Bell sense).
How is that useful?

Likes vanhees71 and CelHolo
Demystifier said:
That's an utter nonsense. To agree with EPR means to agree that their assumptions logically imply their conclusions. No experiment can refute a validity of a logical argument. A logical argument can only be refuted by another logical argument. The logical assumptions of EPR are QM and locality, which you accept. Their logical conclusion is incompleteness, which is not refuted by experimental violation of Bell's inequalities.
There is one more ingredient to EPR, the definition of incompleteness. He (vanhees71) can disagree with that definition.

Likes vanhees71, CelHolo and Demystifier
Demystifier said:
So, hypothetically, we get E, P & R back; show them Bell's inequality; show them a modern experimental set-up of Bell's inequality (I think they'd be very excited at this point); run the experiment; and:

@vanhees thinks they'd go away disappointed.

You think they'd say "I told you so"?

PeroK said:
So, hypothetically, we get E, P & R back; show them Bell's inequality; show them a modern experimental set-up of Bell's inequality (I think they'd be very excited at this point); run the experiment; and:

@vanhees thinks they'd go away disappointed

You think they'd say "I told you so"?
I think that none of them will say "Oh, nature is non-local, relativity is wrong, we must adopt a preferred frame theory."

Likes PeroK
martinbn said:
How is that useful?
It's like usefulness of the impossibility of perpetuum mobile. We don't longer waste time on thinking about the impossible.