Exploring the Legacy of the Atomic Bomb: Told Science

In summary, the conversation is about a literature project called "told science" where the participants have to write a scientific essay in a storytelling format. The topic being discussed is the atomic bomb and the person is looking for good quotes and resources about the Manhattan Project. Oppenheimer and Feynman are mentioned as potential sources, along with Einstein's famous letter.
edo1493
"Told science"

Hi guys!
I am going to take part in a literature project, which is called "told science". You have to write a scientific eassy such as a story. For this year I was wondering to write down something about the atomic bomb. My idea was to write the best quotation on atomic bomb in chronological order. I am looking for some good quotes about manhattan project and other stuff, but I haven't been able to find something worth.
Do you know any resources about it?

I know that Oppheneimer said many things about the project and during the project..

Physics news on Phys.org

edo1493 said:
I know that Oppheneimer said many things about the project and during the project..

Yes, he was infamous for talking sometimes.

Try this one: "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." Seems... profound.

I don't remember exactly the names of the book i read, but there are many of them. It should not be hard to find.
Other than Oppenheimer, Feynman is another person whose story about his involvement really fascinate me. He wrote about it and how he felt at the time in one of his book. I think the one i read is 'the pleasure of finding things out'.
Also, maybe look up the famous letter from Einstein.

Related to Exploring the Legacy of the Atomic Bomb: Told Science

1. What is the legacy of the atomic bomb?

The legacy of the atomic bomb refers to the lasting impact and consequences of the use of nuclear weapons, particularly the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945. This includes the physical, environmental, and medical effects on the victims, as well as the ethical and political implications of nuclear warfare.

2. How did science play a role in the development and use of the atomic bomb?

Science played a crucial role in the development of the atomic bomb. The Manhattan Project, which was responsible for creating the first nuclear weapons, involved the work of many scientists, including Albert Einstein and Enrico Fermi. The understanding of nuclear physics and the discovery of fission were essential in the creation of the atomic bomb.

3. What were the effects of the atomic bomb on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki caused immediate destruction and devastation, resulting in tens of thousands of deaths and injuries. The intense heat and radiation from the blasts also caused long-term health effects for survivors, including increased rates of cancer and birth defects.

4. How has the legacy of the atomic bomb affected international relations and global politics?

The use of the atomic bomb during World War II and the subsequent development of nuclear weapons by other countries has greatly impacted international relations and global politics. The threat of nuclear warfare has led to arms races, treaties, and international tensions. The legacy of the atomic bomb continues to shape discussions and policies surrounding disarmament and nuclear proliferation.

5. What are some ongoing scientific studies and research related to the legacy of the atomic bomb?

There is ongoing research and study into the effects of nuclear radiation on human health, particularly in regards to the survivors of the atomic bombs in Japan. Scientists are also looking into ways to safely dispose of nuclear waste and prevent nuclear accidents. Additionally, there is ongoing discussion and debate about the ethical and moral implications of nuclear weapons and their use in warfare.