Exploring the Intersection of Science and Fiction in My Writing

In summary, incorporating scientific concepts into fiction writing involves researching and consulting with experts to ensure accuracy and believability. The biggest challenge is finding a balance between scientific accuracy and storytelling, and world-building involves establishing scientific rules and limitations. To ensure both entertainment and thought-provoking elements, the writer strives for a balance between action and introspection and incorporates ethical and philosophical questions. Aspiring writers are advised to thoroughly research and consult with experts, strike a balance between science and storytelling, and have fun with incorporating science into their fiction.
callie123
Gold Member
I was told to introduce myself before asking a question. So, I'm a writer -- and that's why I joined this forum. My current project is Scifi -- with more "sci" than "fi" at certain points, haha! I AM NOT very scientific, so I'm hoping I can get smart people to answer some questions now and then. This sounds very selfish, I'm afraid. But you'll be sure to be thanked profusely for your help...and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have on gardening, grammar, or cooking. Though, you could probably find all those answers by visiting your grandma.

So in short...I'm a shameless leach to this forum. Thanks in advance! ;-)

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Callie.
:welcome:

Since what we do here is try to answer questions/solve problems, in some way, supposed 'leaches' are really feeding us! So ask away.
Don't be surprised if some questions are aimed your way too. :eek:

Likes callie123
Thanks, Tom! Hope I do have some knowledge somebody here can use! Right now, all I can contribute is to point out that I spelled "leech" incorrectly...and to thank you for not laughing. :-)

You can view my question here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/water-and-electricity.967180/. Hope that's the proper forum! Thanks.

Last edited:
We have a Sci Fi forum, and a writer's sub forum under that. Those may interest you. Be sure to read the rules before posting.

Meanwhile, we do not handle technical questions in the "New Members Introduction" forum.

Likes callie123
Thanks, I moved my question accordingly.

Likes berkeman
callie123 said:
I spelled "leech" incorrectly...
Either spelling works. Here from the Urban Dictionary, https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=leach

LEACH
1) leach is a type of person who does their best to suck your personal wealth out of you, without actually causing pain, but just extreme annoyance after you notice it is happaning.

Wow, so I was mistaken about being mistaken? I'll take it. Thanks, Tom :-)

Likes Tom.G

Related to Exploring the Intersection of Science and Fiction in My Writing

1. How do you incorporate scientific concepts into your fiction writing?

I often start by researching scientific topics that interest me and then finding ways to weave them into my story. I also consult with experts in the field to ensure accuracy and believability in my writing.

2. What challenges do you face when combining science and fiction in your writing?

The biggest challenge is finding a balance between scientific accuracy and storytelling. It can be difficult to explain complex scientific concepts in a way that is understandable to readers without sacrificing the integrity of the science.

3. How do you approach world-building in your science fiction writing?

I approach world-building by first establishing the scientific rules and limitations of the world I am creating. Then, I build upon those rules to create a believable and immersive world that is grounded in science.

4. How do you ensure your science fiction writing is both entertaining and thought-provoking?

I strive to create a balance between action and introspection in my writing. I also incorporate ethical and philosophical questions that arise from scientific advancements, which can spark deeper thinking and discussion among readers.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring writers who want to incorporate science into their fiction?

My advice would be to do thorough research and consult with experts in the field. It's also important to strike a balance between science and storytelling, and to not be afraid to take creative liberties with scientific concepts to enhance the story. And most importantly, have fun with it!