Exploring the Intersection of Mathematics and History: A Personal Journey

• Thread starter Graham P
  • Start date
In summary, the exploration of the intersection between mathematics and history is a personal journey that can uncover fascinating connections and insights. By examining the historical context of mathematical discoveries and the impact of mathematical concepts on historical events, one can gain a deeper appreciation for both disciplines. This journey can also shed light on the role of mathematics in shaping our understanding of the world and its role in shaping our history. Additionally, exploring this intersection can inspire new perspectives and approaches to problem-solving and critical thinking.
Graham P
Hi everyone.
I'm living in NZ so my time zone is the reverse of most evebody. My background is electronics and IT with Bachelors in both. I'd like to improve my maths. Also I'm very keen on studying history especially the history of maths development: I've read James Nickel's seminal "Mathematics, is God silent" and have looked into the Indian algebraic methods without much success. I also read history in koine greek, portugeuse and in translation, enjoying Josephus in the original and bishop Ussher's works. The Babylonian maths tablets recently discovered, area topic of interest too, with their teaching focus.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome to PF Graham! What kind of motorcycle is that?
Aha, a Honda 400 V4 that was bored out to 440 or so, normally aspirated. It has bits of other bikes, as any aficionado will immediately see.
I'll see if I can recall the model.

VFR 400 F I think, sold only in Japan for racing homologation during the time of severely restricted CC ratings due to petrol prices. Imported second hand into NZ. I used it on track days in Taupo at the International circuit a few years back. Excellent bike, I only took it to 13,000 rpm. It hummed at 11.