Exploring the Integration of x^2/sqrt(1-x^2) Using Trigonometric Substitution

In summary, the conversation involves discussing the process of solving the integral \int^{0}_{1}\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}} by using the substitution x = sin(theta) and the trigonometric identity sin^2x=\frac{1-cos2x}{2}. The process involves breaking down the integral into smaller parts and making a substitution to simplify the expression.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

[tex]\int^{0}_{1}\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x=sintheta
dx=cos theta
[tex]\int^{0}_{1}\sin^{2}[/tex]
Now I get stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
well, i believe

[tex] sin^2x=\frac{1-cos2x}{2}[/tex] would help.

You don't show dx in your original integral, but it should be there. You need to replace it and the square root in the denominator, using your substitution.

In your substitution, dx = cos(theta) d(theta).

There's a trig formula that let's you express sin(theta)^2 in terms of cos(2*theta). Can you find it?

sutupidmath said:
well, i believe

[tex] sin^2x=\frac{1-cos2x}{2}[/tex] would help.

so then i would make u=2x and du=2dx

kathrynag said:
so then i would make u=2x and du=2dx

well first you woudl break it into 1/2-1/2 cos(2x) then if you want you can make that substituion, that would work.

sutupidmath said:
well first you woudl break it into 1/2-1/2 cos(2x) then if you want you can make that substituion, that would work.

Ok, well that's what I meant.

:wink:
kathrynag said:
Ok, well that's what I meant.

Related to Exploring the Integration of x^2/sqrt(1-x^2) Using Trigonometric Substitution

1. What is integration cos theta?

Integration cos theta is a mathematical process that involves finding the antiderivative of the cosine function. It is a way to calculate the area under the curve of a cosine graph.

2. Why is integration cos theta important?

Integration cos theta is important because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve various mathematical problems involving trigonometric functions. It is also utilized in physics and engineering to model and analyze periodic phenomena.

3. How do I integrate cos theta?

To integrate cos theta, you can use the integration by parts method or the substitution method. You can also use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. Can integration cos theta be solved without using calculus?

No, integration cos theta cannot be solved without using calculus. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and requires knowledge of derivatives, antiderivatives, and integration techniques to solve.

5. Are there any useful tips for solving integration cos theta problems?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving integration cos theta problems:

• Always check for any trigonometric identities that can be used to simplify the integral.
  • Remember to use the correct integration formula for cosine, which is ∫cosx dx = sinx + C.
  • Try to recognize patterns and use substitution to simplify the integral.
  • Practice and familiarize yourself with integration techniques to become more efficient in solving integration cos theta problems.