Exploring the Inside of an Atom

• Thread starter Eski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, The conversation is about the speaker's interest in the string theory and their desire to learn more about the components of an atom. They mention that they know it consists of electrons, protons, neutrons, quarks, and possibly strings. Another person recommends a website for more information and warns about potential confusion with dates of different models of the atom.
Eski
Hi guys, I am new so don't expect an expert question.

I just watched a documentary on the string theory. I was getting curious and now would like to know everything that is inside an atom.

So far I know that it consists of...

electron(s), proton, neutron, quarks and possibly strings

Any responses would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Bladibla said:
http://www.krysstal.com/subatomic.html

I think that website will tell you more of sub-atomic particles..

Beware! :bugeye: The Planetary Model of Sir Ernest Rutherford is dated 1911 and NOT 1913.

Daniel.

PS.The better Bohr model (apud Niels Bohr) is dated 1913.Terrible confusion...

Related to Exploring the Inside of an Atom

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the smallest unit of a chemical element that still retains the properties of that element. It is composed of a positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons.

2. How do we explore the inside of an atom?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as electron microscopes and particle accelerators, to explore the inside of atoms. They also use mathematical models and theories to understand the behavior and structure of atoms.

3. What is inside the nucleus of an atom?

The nucleus of an atom contains protons and neutrons, which are held together by strong nuclear forces. Protons have a positive charge and neutrons have no charge, but both contribute to the mass of an atom.

4. How are electrons arranged in an atom?

Electrons are arranged in energy levels or shells around the nucleus of an atom. The first energy level can hold up to 2 electrons, while the remaining levels can hold up to 8 electrons. The electrons in the outermost energy level determine the chemical properties of an atom.

5. Why is it important to study the inside of an atom?

Studying the inside of an atom allows scientists to understand the building blocks of matter and how different elements interact and form compounds. This knowledge is crucial for advancements in various fields, such as medicine, technology, and energy production.