Exploring the Gravitational Effects of the Moon on Earth's Rotation and Orbit

In summary, the conversation revolves around the effects of the moon's gravity on experiments with magnets and rotating devices. The main question is where and how to access information on the Earth and moon's distance and gravitational effects over time. There is a debate about the relevance of the moon's gravitational pull in relation to the Earth's magnetic field and stability of orbit. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to search for information on magnetometers and the mention of an interesting fact about the moon's role in keeping the Earth from spiraling into the sun.
Rick James
Hi all

Looking for some assistance if possible.

Astrophysics is not my field--so please be gentle with me, as I am totally ignorant in your discipline.

I’m doing experiments with magnets and rotating devices and would like to include the effect of drag and pull of the moon (at max and min.) in my data for analysis.

What I need is to know is were I could find information with regards to the Earth and moons distance at any point in time.

Also, the gravitational effects—example—at what point are they strongest and weakest.

Are they strongest at the point of the moons nearest approach or as the moon starts to move away.

I would like to be able to access the information ( —as in a database format ) at any point in time--eg. what would the value be --say--July 19, 2113 or August 05,2014.

I would also like to chart the data over time.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

R_I_C_K

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What does the gravitational pull of the moon have to do with your experiment? How accurate are you measuring?

Rick James said:
Hi all
Also, the gravitational effects—example—at what point are they strongest and weakest.

Are they strongest at the point of the moons nearest approach or as the moon starts to move away.

The force is strongest when you are closest to the moon.

I would like to be able to access the information ( —as in a database format ) at any point in time--eg. what would the value be --say--July 19, 2113 or August 05,2014.

I'm not sure if there is a database or something somewhere with the gravitational force of the Moon. However such a thing is easily calculated if you know the distance between you and the Moon, which only requires that you know the distance from the Moon to the Earth at the time.

Rick James said:
Hi all

Looking for some assistance if possible.....

I’m doing experiments with magnets and rotating devices and would like to include the effect of drag and pull of the moon (at max and min.) in my data for analysis....Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
R_I_C_K

greetings Rick
welcome to PF

I would suggest that any experiments with magnets and trying to measure very small variations of position etc are going to be more likely to be affected by variations in the Earth's magnetic field. Particularly at times of sudden impulses to the magnetic field during times of bursts of solar activity Coroma Mass Ejections and Flares.

Do a google search on magnetometers. any observed/recorded variations are more likely to have been caused by the much stronger effectof the above rather than the much weaker minor variations of gravity

Dave

Well one gravitation effect would be that the moon keeps the Earth from moving into the sun. One i only read about recently. AS the Earths pole would move further towards the sun This obviously would take millions of years to process regardless.

Just an interesting fact non the less.

FeynmanP said:
Well one gravitation effect would be that the moon keeps the Earth from moving into the sun. One i only read about recently. AS the Earths pole would move further towards the sun This obviously would take millions of years to process regardless.

Just an interesting fact non the less.

The Earth would not go spiraling into the Sun if it weren't for the Moon. We are in a stable orbit with or without it. The axis of the Earth's rotation may be a little more unstable, but that is not the same thing. Our distance from the Sun would remain the same.

Related to Exploring the Gravitational Effects of the Moon on Earth's Rotation and Orbit

1. What is the moon's gravitational effect?

The moon's gravitational effect refers to the force of attraction between the moon and other objects, including the Earth, that is caused by their masses. This force is what keeps the moon in orbit around the Earth and also causes the tides on Earth.

2. How does the moon's gravitational effect impact the Earth?

The moon's gravitational effect has several impacts on the Earth. The most notable is the creation of tides in the oceans, which are caused by the moon's gravitational pull on the Earth's water. The moon's gravity also helps stabilize the Earth's tilt, which is important for maintaining stable seasons.

3. Does the moon's gravitational effect affect the human body?

Yes, the moon's gravitational effect does have an impact on the human body. Some studies have shown that the moon's gravity can cause changes in the body's fluids, such as blood and spinal fluid, which may lead to changes in blood pressure and sleep patterns. However, these effects are very small and most people do not notice them.

4. How does the moon's gravitational effect compare to Earth's gravity?

The moon's gravitational effect is about one-sixth of the Earth's gravity. This means that a person who weighs 150 pounds on Earth would only weigh about 25 pounds on the moon. However, the moon's gravity is strong enough to affect the tides on Earth and has a significant impact on the Earth's overall orbit and rotation.

5. Can the moon's gravitational effect change over time?

Yes, the moon's gravitational effect can change over time. This is due to several factors, including the moon's distance from the Earth, the Earth's distance from the sun, and the gravitational pull of other objects in the solar system. However, these changes are very small and do not have a significant impact on the moon's overall gravitational effect on the Earth.