Exploring the Eddington Limit: Deriving the Formulation of Accretion Processes

In summary: The Eddington limit is the maximum amount of energy that a particle can absorb from the surrounding radiation before it is destroyed. The equation that is used to calculate the limit is:n_{ph} = (4\pi r^2)c*h*nuwhere c is the speed of light. To understand this equation, you first have to understand the radiation equation. The radiation equation states that the amount of energy that is radiated from a source is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the source and the observer. In other words, the more distance you have between the source and the observer, the less energy is radiated. The radiation equation can be simplified by assuming that the source and
Aleolomorfo
I am studyng accretion process on "Astrophysics in a nutshell" by Dan Maoz and I have some doubts about the derivation of the formula for the eddington limit. I understand what the edding limit is. The accretion rate cannot be arbitrarly large. The starting point is to consider an electron at a radius ##r## in an ionized gas that is taking part in an accretion flow towards some compact object. The accretion flow produces a luminosity per frequency interval ##L_\nu##, and therefore the density of photons with energy ##h\nu## at ##r## is:
$$n_{ph}=\frac{L_\nu}{4\pi r^2 ch\nu}$$
I do not understand why the density of photons is written in this way. I see that it is dimensionally correct but I do not see the reason.
##\frac{L_\nu}{4\pi r^2}## is the flux of photons with frequency ##\nu## but I do not understand why it is divided by ##ch\nu##.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
[itex]L_{\nu}[/itex] is not the flux of photons, it is the flux of energy. So you have to divide by the energy per photon to get the flux of photons.

Likes stefan r
Yes, you first have to divide by the energy per photon, h*nu, to get it into a number flux (and I believe you mean flux per area), but then you also have to divide by the particle speed to get it into a density of particles per volume. You'd have to do the same thing with a flux of bullets. If you still don't see it, it might help to take the c up onto the left side of the equation, and think about what a number density times a speed is.

However, I would also point out that the easiest way to understand the Eddington limit is to think in terms of the momentum flux per area, not the photon flux and not the photon density. This is because to get the radiative force per gram, you simply take the momentum flux per area, and multiply by the cross section per gram. That's the simplest way to see what is going on.

Likes Aleolomorfo
Aleolomorfo said:
therefore the density of photons with energy hνhνh\nu at rrr is:
Is there any special point in restating the Eddington limit in terms of photons?

Related to Exploring the Eddington Limit: Deriving the Formulation of Accretion Processes

1. What is the Eddington Limit?

The Eddington Limit is a theoretical upper limit on the luminosity that can be produced by an object through the process of accretion. It was first proposed by British astrophysicist Arthur Eddington in the early 20th century.

2. How is the Eddington Limit derived?

The Eddington Limit is derived by considering the balance between the radiation pressure and the gravitational force acting on an object. The equation for the Eddington Limit takes into account the mass and radius of the object, as well as the mass and luminosity of the accreting material.

3. What types of objects are affected by the Eddington Limit?

The Eddington Limit can apply to a variety of objects, including stars, black holes, and accretion disks. However, it is most commonly used in the study of accretion processes in compact objects, such as white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes.

4. How does the Eddington Limit impact accretion processes?

The Eddington Limit plays a crucial role in regulating the rate of accretion onto an object. When the accretion rate exceeds the Eddington Limit, the object will experience strong radiation pressure, which can disrupt the accretion process. This can lead to the formation of outflows and jets.

5. What are some current research efforts related to the Eddington Limit?

Scientists are currently studying the effects of the Eddington Limit on different types of accreting objects, as well as its implications for understanding the growth and evolution of galaxies. There is also ongoing research to refine the formulation of the Eddington Limit and improve our understanding of accretion processes in extreme environments.