Exploring the Double Sum Decomposition in Scientific Research

In summary, the relation is between the m-sum of a sequence of numbers and the m-sum of the numbers excluding the m=0 term.
robousy
Hey folks,

I'm trying to show that [tex]\sum_{m,n=-\infty}^\infty '(n^2+a^2m^2)^{-s}=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty 'n^{-2s}+\sum_{m=-\infty}^\infty'\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty(n^2+a^2m^2)^{-s}[/tex]. The prime means that we don't include the m=n=0 term.

Has anyone seen this relation? Is it standard?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure this is the correct relation? Or is it like this:

[tex]\sum_{m,n=-\infty}^\infty '(n^2+a^2m^2)^{-s}=-\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty 'n^{-2s}+\sum_{m=-\infty}^\infty \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty '(n^2+a^2m^2)^{-s}[/tex]

Hey Rainbow,

Its from a paper so its possible there was a typo in the preprint. Do you know the steps for your version? That would probably help me.

Thanks!

Richard

aaaah...thats simple actually, so yes you are probably correct, the extra term is just the m=0 term. lol.

I hope that's correct! Or else we are both missing something! :smile:
What was the paper about?

It's just splitting the m-sum into m=0 and m != 0, for the m=0 part you have to sum over all inteegers n != 0, if m != 0 there is no such restriction on the value of n ...

Rainbow Child said:
I hope that's correct! Or else we are both missing something! :smile:
What was the paper about?

Its a dimensional regularization process. Are you familiar with calculations of one loop vacuum energy in extra dimensions? Its a sweet little paper on how to do it in a T^2/Z^2 orbifold. I've been working on it all week and its all clicking into place nicely.

robousy said:
Are you familiar with calculations of one loop vacuum energy in extra dimensions?

Loop gravity! Nice subject, although not my favorite one! :smile:

Good luck with the calculations, as I can remember from the regularization in QFT, one mistake makes everything look like Chinese! :smile:

Your not wrong there!

Thanks again for the brain jolt.

:)

Related to Exploring the Double Sum Decomposition in Scientific Research

1. What is decomposition of double sum?

Decomposition of double sum is a mathematical process in which a double sum is broken down into two separate sums. This is often used in simplifying complex equations and solving problems related to series and sequences.

2. Why is decomposition of double sum useful?

Decomposition of double sum allows for easier manipulation and calculation of complex equations. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between different terms in the double sum.

3. How is decomposition of double sum performed?

Decomposition of double sum involves rewriting the double sum as two separate sums and then combining them back together. This can be done by factoring out common terms or using other algebraic techniques.

4. What are some common applications of decomposition of double sum?

Decomposition of double sum is commonly used in fields such as calculus, statistics, and physics. It is also frequently used in computer science and engineering for solving problems related to series and sequences.

5. Are there any limitations to decomposition of double sum?

Decomposition of double sum may not always be possible or useful, especially when dealing with non-linear or divergent series. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and limitations of this technique before applying it to a problem.