Exploring the Discrepancy of ii's Value in Euler's Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of ii, which is defined by the complex exponential function. It is shown that ii has multiple possible values due to the multivalued nature of the logarithm function. However, by choosing the principal branch of the logarithm, ii can have a unique value. This is commonly used in applications such as the Riemann-zeta function.
Dr. Seafood
To compute this, we’ll make use of Euler’s formula cis(x) = eix = cos(x) + i·sin(x):

ei(π/2) = cos(π/2) + i·sin(π/2) = i, and exponentiating by i we get
ii = (ei(π/2))i = ei·i(π/2) = e-π/2 ∈ ℝ.

But we also have cis(2πk + π/2) = i, k ∈ ℤ. Thus by the same logic, we get ii = e-(2πk + π/2) for k ∈ ℤ.

Infinitely many evaluations, so ii doesn't have a distinct/unique value? This seems like a discrepancy. I don't have any strong arguments, but I have this W|A computation telling me that ii is indeed distinct, since none of e-5π/2, e-9π/2, e-13π/2, etc are equal.

Also, since the exponential function from ℝ onto ℝ+ is certainly injective, each of these numbers e-(2πk + π/2) must be distinct. If ii is distinct, why is its value e-π/2 = 0.2078795... ?

Can anyone explain this?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, there's nothing surprising about that. xy is by definition ey log(x), and log is a multivalued function. Except for integer y, this always leads to multiple possible values of xy. One usually resolves this by the somewhat artificial dodge of using the principal branch of log y, defined by convention, (just as [itex]\sqrt{y}[/itex] is taken to mean the positive square root of y, even though there is also a negative one).

That's true, in that case I'll accept that ii cannot be uniquely evaluated. But I've seen in other places (including on this forum) that ii has a distinct value. This is clearly untrue by the logic in the OP post. What's the discrepancy?

It does have a unique value -- if you choose the principal branch. (Which is to say, it has a unique value if you define it to.)

Indeed, the complex exponential is defined as

[tex]x^y=e^{yLog(x)}[/tex]

The log is multivalued, so there will be an infinite number of possible [itex]x^y[/itex]. But in many applications, we want a principal value of [itex]x^y[/itex]. This is done by the formula

[tex]x^y=e^{yLog(x)}[/tex]

But where the Log is now the principal branch and is single-valued. That is, we restricted the range of the Log such that it becomes single-valued.

This principal value of [itex]x^y[/itex] pops up in many places, for example in the definition of the Riemann-zeta function:

[tex]\sum{\frac{1}{n^s}}[/tex]

where the s can be complex.

Related to Exploring the Discrepancy of ii's Value in Euler's Formula

1. What is Euler's formula and how does it relate to ii's value?

Euler's formula, also known as Euler's identity, is a mathematical equation that relates the five most important mathematical constants: 0, 1, π, e, and i. It can be written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where i is the imaginary unit (also represented as ii) and x is any real number. The value of ii in this formula is crucial as it allows for the expression of complex numbers in terms of exponentials.

2. What is the discrepancy in ii's value in Euler's formula?

The discrepancy in ii's value in Euler's formula arises from the fact that i is defined as the square root of -1, which has no real solution. Therefore, the value of ii is undefined and can be interpreted in different ways, leading to discrepancies in its value in different contexts.

3. How does the discrepancy of ii's value affect the use of Euler's formula?

The discrepancy of ii's value can have significant implications in the use of Euler's formula. It can lead to different interpretations and applications of the formula, depending on the context in which it is used. It can also affect the accuracy of calculations involving complex numbers.

4. Are there any attempts to resolve the discrepancy of ii's value in Euler's formula?

Yes, there have been various attempts to resolve the discrepancy of ii's value in Euler's formula. Some mathematicians have proposed alternative definitions of i, while others have suggested using a different notation for the imaginary unit. However, there is no universally accepted solution to this discrepancy.

5. What are some real-world applications of Euler's formula and its discrepancy in ii's value?

Euler's formula is widely used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics, where it provides a powerful tool for solving problems involving complex numbers. The discrepancy of ii's value has also been studied in relation to quantum mechanics and signal processing, where it has practical implications for understanding and manipulating complex systems.