Exploring the Cyclic Nature of U(p^k) and its Relationship to Modular Arithmetic

• Thread starter Dead Metheny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, the conversation is about proving that U(p^k) is cyclic, given that p^k is an odd prime power. The professor's hint is to consider the solutions to x^2 = 1. The speaker has tried using trial and error to find a generator for the set, and believes that any prime less than p can generate it. They also mention that the order of the set is pk - pk - 1. The conversation then shifts to discussing the modular arithmetic involved in solving the problem. The speaker also mentions that they made a mistake in the title, as U(2n) is not cyclic for n>2 due to having two elements of order 2. They are still looking for help in solving
Dead Metheny
Prove that U(p^k) is cyclic

p^k is an odd prime power.

I've been working on this problem for a while and can't figure it out. The professor's hint is "to think about the solutions to x2 =1." (pk - 1)2 mod pk = 1 but I'm unsure how that is helpful.

I know that that 2 generates every set by trial and error, and I'm reasonable sure that any prime less than p generates the set. The order of the set is pk - pk - 1.

If |q| = n, then q|U(pk)| = 1 mod pk and n | p - 1 or n | pk - 1 or n | (p - 1)pk - 1. I'm unsure of how to solve the modular arithmetic from here though.

Edit: I wrote down wrong question for title, apologies. U(2n) is not cyclic for n>2 because it will contain two elements of order 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still stuck on this. Anyone able to lend a hand?

Related to Exploring the Cyclic Nature of U(p^k) and its Relationship to Modular Arithmetic

1. What is U(2^N)?

U(2^N) is a mathematical group, also known as the unit group, that consists of all integers relatively prime to 2^N. In other words, it is the set of all positive integers less than 2^N that share no common factors with 2^N.

2. What does it mean for a group to be cyclic?

A cyclic group is a group in which every element can be generated by a single element, called a generator, through repeated multiplication. In other words, the group can be "cycled through" by applying the generator multiple times.

3. How do you prove that U(2^N) is cyclic?

To prove that U(2^N) is cyclic, you need to show that there exists a generator, or a single element, that can generate all other elements in the group by repeated multiplication. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as finding primitive roots or using modular arithmetic.

4. Why is proving that U(2^N) is cyclic important?

Proving that U(2^N) is cyclic is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of this mathematical group. It also has applications in various fields such as cryptography and number theory.

5. What are some real-life examples of cyclic groups?

Some real-life examples of cyclic groups include the rotation of a wheel, the days of the week, and the months of the year. In each of these examples, a single element (one rotation, one day, one month) can generate all other elements through repeated cycles.