Exploring the Concept of Human Reincarnation

In summary: But if humanity as a whole ceased to exist, then the concept of time would be meaningless because we couldn't feel it.
SW VandeCarr said:
Brains are reconfiguring themselves all the time according to our lifestyles and other factors. The uniqueness of brains doesn't tell us much about self awareness. Since we know almost nothing about self awareness, we can't say anything about strong reincarnation or whether it exists or not.
You speak as the self-awareness is a constant thing. It changes. And here comes the point about 5 year old and 60 year old. Well, maybe 3 year old. They have distinctly different self-awareness, but they are the same person. I still think that the self-awareness is a function of the brain. Yes, we don't know much about it, but there is no need to invoke the supernatural yet.

SW VandeCarr said:
Actually, favoring one life only is much more in line with monotheistic Western religious traditions whereas reincarnation is more in line with Eastern religions which do not follow the monotheistic model.
I favor no religion.

Physics news on Phys.org
SW VandeCarr said:
Brains are reconfiguring themselves all the time according to our lifestyles and other factors. The uniqueness of brains doesn't tell us much about self awareness. Since we know almost nothing about self awareness, we can't say anything about strong reincarnation or whether it exists or not.

Actually, favoring one life only is much more in line with monotheistic Western religious traditions whereas reincarnation is more in line with Eastern religions which do not follow the monotheistic model.

Maybe a bit off topic because it is just my opinion; but to me it seems that conciousness is just the result of constant gradual change of the brain.

If you took one man, looked at his brain and then looked at it 20 years later, clearly it wouldn't be the same brain. But also, the brain changes every second, so it appears that by the brain only changing very gradually all of the time, the effect of conciousness is created; the brain has some very strong link with the recent past by how similar it was and the thought processes that it had.

This idea (not that is original I'm sure) gives a reasonable definition of the self and shows why there is no strong-reincarnation. Of course, it's completely useless in a philosophy discussion, simply because it is my opinion and cannot be proved- but to me it seems the most logical way of looking at things.

I simply like this: No afterlife consciousness, instead we are return as materials from wence we came from, the Earth/Space etc.. I think that is an observable scientific fact.

In essence returning back the Earth as your atomic 'dust', is an afterlife, bit not the afterlife that needs theory/religion, rather than reality to explain it.