Exploring the Benefits of a Manned Mission to Mars

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of a potential manned mission to Mars and whether it would benefit the greater scientific community. One person is opposed to the idea, citing reasons such as expense and the possibility of achieving more through other means such as space telescopes and probes. Another person believes a private sector approach would be more effective, while a third suggests focusing on robotic missions first before sending humans. The conversation also touches on potential scientific discoveries and the political nature of space exploration. Ultimately, opinions are split on the usefulness and cost-effectiveness of a manned mission to Mars.

Do you think a manned mission to mars will give greater understanding of our universe

• yes it will advance our understanding of the U

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • some good science will come from it

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • not much

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • not at all

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is a manned mission to Mars good for the greater scientific community ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
OOps i seemed to have messed up the header can you fix it ST ?

It should read, greater understanding of our universe.

I am totally opposed to a manned mission to Mars. Do the words 'hugely expensive, wasteful and unnecessary' come to mind? . . . what other superlatives have I overlooked that better describe such an ill-conceived effort . . . Arrogance? Don't get me wrong . . . I would volunteer for this mission in a heartbeat . . . but we can do so much more with space telescopes, probes, etc., that it is just not worth it.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
I am totally opposed to a manned mission to Mars. Do the words 'hugely expensive, wasteful and unnecessary' come to mind? . . . what other superlatives have I overlooked that better describe such an ill-conceived effort . . . Arrogance? Don't get me wrong . . . I would volunteer for this mission in a heartbeat . . . but we can do so much more with space telescopes, probes, etc., that it is just not worth it.

Completely agree with Chronos. It's only a political game with a not defensible "science over costs"-ratio.

wolram said:
It should read, greater understanding of our universe.

I changed the wording to make it fit. As for the question, I have mixed feelings. I don't like how it has taken science funds, but in principle, I have no problem with a manned mission to mars. I suspect, however, that the private sector will do a better job of it in the long run.

I think a better plan is skip the manned missions. Send more and more robots to do low-cost research. It would be great to send some mining robots that could build other robots on site. Eventually, a robot manufacturing base would negate any need to send more probes. If such a base were built on the moon, all planetary missions could proceed from the moon, much cheaper than from earth. (I like these opinion polls, they really let you blather on! :)

Who knows what were going to find out there? For all we know we could find the cure to cancer there? Maybe there might some secientfic experment we can on the people on Mars when we go there that would useful for health.

BTW I think half of the people that voted for not much or not at all just voted because bush wanted NASA to go there.(Trust me NASA/space exporation is potical)

CosmologyHobbyist said:
I think a better plan is skip the manned missions. Send more and more robots to do low-cost research. It would be great to send some mining robots that could build other robots on site. Eventually, a robot manufacturing base would negate any need to send more probes. If such a base were built on the moon, all planetary missions could proceed from the moon, much cheaper than from earth. (I like these opinion polls, they really let you blather on! :)
I agree. We need to get good at robotic seed missions to places like the moon and Mars way before we start sending a lot of people. It will take a couple decades at least of robotic seed missions before we know enough and are prepared enough to start risking people's lives and spending so much more money.

By looking at the poll so far I see two things form the 4 options:
half of the people polled think sending a man to Mars would be useful
half of the people polled think sending a man to Mars is complete waste of time.

I think the answers highly depends on how the question was interpreted.
Would there come some good science out of it?: Sure.
Is it worth the price?: No, the money could be spent better.

Related to Exploring the Benefits of a Manned Mission to Mars

1. What are the potential benefits of sending humans to Mars?

The potential benefits of sending humans to Mars are numerous and varied. One of the main benefits is the advancement of scientific knowledge and understanding of the red planet. By studying the planet up close, scientists can learn more about its geology, atmosphere, and potential for sustaining life. Additionally, a manned mission to Mars could also lead to technological advancements in space travel and colonization, as well as potential economic benefits from future mining and resource extraction.

2. How would a manned mission to Mars differ from previous robotic missions?

A manned mission to Mars would differ from previous robotic missions in several ways. First, humans have the ability to adapt and make decisions in real-time, which would allow for more flexibility and creativity in exploring the planet. Second, humans can physically collect and bring back samples, rather than relying on robotic instruments. This could lead to a more comprehensive understanding of the planet's geology and potential for life. Third, humans can conduct experiments and research on the planet, which could provide valuable insights and data that robots are not capable of obtaining.

3. What are the potential risks and challenges of a manned mission to Mars?

As with any space mission, there are several potential risks and challenges associated with a manned mission to Mars. First and foremost is the health and safety of the astronauts. The journey to Mars would take several months, and the astronauts would be exposed to high levels of radiation and microgravity, which could have negative effects on their health. Additionally, landing and operating on a different planet comes with its own set of challenges, such as dust storms, extreme temperatures, and potential technical malfunctions.

4. How would a manned mission to Mars benefit humanity as a whole?

A manned mission to Mars could benefit humanity in many ways. First, it could inspire future generations to pursue careers in science and space exploration. Second, it could lead to technological advancements that could benefit society, such as improved methods for sustainable living and resource management. Third, it could provide a backup plan for humanity in case of a catastrophic event on Earth. Finally, the pursuit of a manned mission to Mars could bring nations together in a common goal, promoting international cooperation and peace.

5. What are the potential long-term impacts of a manned mission to Mars on the planet and its inhabitants?

The long-term impacts of a manned mission to Mars on the planet and its inhabitants are still unknown and highly debated. Some experts argue that the presence of humans on Mars could potentially contaminate the planet and harm any potential native life forms. Others argue that with proper precautions and regulations, humans could coexist with any potential life on Mars while also taking steps to preserve and protect the planet's natural environment. Ultimately, it is important for any future manned mission to Mars to prioritize ethical and responsible practices to minimize any negative impacts on the planet and its inhabitants.