Why Hasn't Mars Ice Core Samples Research Been Attempted?

In summary, the article discusses the possibility of an ice core sample from Mars being analyzed for clues on past climate or possible evidence of life. It is unclear if this is still a current focus for NASA, as they have not yet attempted to collect such a sample. However, with more advanced technology available than in 1978, it seems possible that such an analysis may be possible.
Rubidium_71
http://www.wired.com/2013/10/mars-polar-ice-sample-return-1977-1978/

I found this old Wired article interesting. It makes me wonder, with all the cash that is thrown at Mars exploration these days, why an updated version of this has not been attempted? It would seem that analysis of a Martian ice core sample could yield some answers concerning past climate or even possible ancient microbial life. Ice cores have been good sources for information on Earth, so they should offer a fairly useful record of Mars' distant past.
Given that technology is more advanced today than it was in 1978, the analysis might even be possible right there on Mars without the need for a return mission. Analyzing the core on Mars would certainly limit the possibility of contaminants from Earth.
Why is it that the idea of studying Martian ice cores has seemingly been abandoned?

Likes 1oldman2
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Rubidium_71 said:
Why is it that the idea of studying Martian ice cores has seemingly been abandoned?
https://exomars.cnes.fr/en/EXOMARS/index.htm
This seems to be "state of the art" for searching for exo-life these days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. It looks like a very toned down version of what they planned back in 1978. It doesn't sound like they're taking a polar region sample, but I guess at least it's something after almost 40 years of waiting for an ice core sample mission. I was just surprised they hadn't attempted it, given NASA's motto of "follow the water" when looking for evidence of life on Mars. The polar region is water, sittin' right there on the surface just waiting to be sampled. I think an experiment like the one proposed in 1978 might yield more answers than what they've been doing lately. I guess we'll see what they get up to in that 2018 mission if it is successful.

Likes 1oldman2
Glad you enjoyed the link, that is of course only one of many missions coming up in the near future. It seems these latest programs are what the earlier (70's etc.) have led up to and they are refining the search parameters for past or present lifeforms. Early in the Mars exploration game NASA targeted the ice caps as a best bet plan for finding water and discovered what was expected to be frozen CO2 turned out to be a large percentage of H2O. Later on it was realized that "following the water" wasn't very difficult as there are signs of it everywhere. Here are a couple of relevant links you might find interesting, let me know your thoughts after you have time to read them.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mars2020/
By the way I would bet Exo-geology is going to be a booming field in the not too distant future. :smile:

Likes Rubidium_71
"By the way I would bet Exo-geology is going to be a booming field in the not too distant future."

I hope so.

Likes 1oldman2
This sort of wishful speculation makes me uncomfortable. (yes, I acknowledge that is a good thing)

There is no verified evidence to date. Where possible deposits of what may be water is claimed to be seen on Mars.

As a betting man, my money would be? Any water we can find ob Mars, will eventually be tested out as from recent cometary debris. Which would be valuable data in it's own right.

1. Why is it important to study Mars ice core samples?

Studying Mars ice core samples can provide valuable insights into the planet's past climate and potential for habitability. These samples can also help us understand the history of water on Mars and the potential for microbial life.

2. Has any research been done on Mars ice core samples before?

While there have been several missions to Mars that have collected data on the planet's ice caps, there has not been a specific mission focused on collecting and analyzing ice core samples. However, some studies have used data from these missions to make inferences about Mars' past climate.

3. What are the challenges in attempting research on Mars ice core samples?

One of the main challenges is actually drilling and extracting the ice cores from Mars' surface. The extreme temperatures and harsh environment on the planet make it difficult for equipment to function properly. Additionally, bringing the samples back to Earth for analysis would also be a complex and expensive process.

4. Why hasn't this research been attempted yet?

The main reason is due to the challenges and resources needed for such a mission. It would require significant funding and technological advancements to successfully collect and analyze Mars ice core samples. Additionally, there may be other research priorities that have taken precedence over this topic.

5. Are there any plans for future Mars ice core sample missions?

Currently, there are no concrete plans for a mission solely focused on collecting ice core samples from Mars. However, some proposed missions, such as the Mars Ice Mapper, have included plans to collect ice core samples as part of their objectives. It is likely that as technology advances and more interest in Mars' past climate grows, there will be more initiatives to research ice core samples from the planet.