Exploring the Behavior of f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1)

• Thread starter agv567
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, the equation f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1) has an undefined derivative and cannot be solved for x. However, if x is set to -1, then x2 = 1 and the equation can be solved for x.
agv567

Homework Statement

The equation is f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I first took the derivative, which was f'(x) = -(x^2 - 1) / (x^2 -1) ^2

I set it equal to zero to find the relative extremas, and I got -X^2 -1 = 0, which means X^2 = -1.

That isn't a real number, but so would that mean there are no intervals where it's increasing or decreasing? When I graphed it, it seemed like it was decreasing on all values, negative infinity to positive infinity...

Physics news on Phys.org
Where the derivative equals zero is where the function has a local minimum (bottoms out) or has a local maximum (peaks). Thus if it never does either of these things then it better always be doing either one of two things.

agv567 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I first took the derivative, which was f'(x) = -(x^2 - 1) / (x^2 -1) ^2

I set it equal to zero to find the relative extremas, and I got -X^2 -1 = 0, which means X^2 = -1.

That isn't a real number, but so would that mean there are no intervals where it's increasing or decreasing? When I graphed it, it seemed like it was decreasing on all values, negative infinity to positive infinity...

If -(x2 - 1) = 0 , then x2 = 1, so that x = ±1 .

His derivative is not correct, it should be: f'(x) = -(x^2 + 1) / (x^2 -1) ^2.

Poopsilon said:
His derivative is not correct, it should be: f'(x) = -(x^2 + 1) / (x^2 -1) ^2.
That makes sense considering that the function is decreasing over its entire domain.

Oh yes, I'm sorry. I had it written down correctly but I typed it incorrectly by adding a parentheses.

It should be -(x^2 + 1) / (X^2-1) ^2

Now when I set it equal to zero, I get X=-1, which does not exist. How would I tell that it was decreasing over the entire domain then without graphing?

For what value of x is x2 + 1 = 0 ?

That would require that x = -1. !

Added in Edit:

That was a typo

Should have said: That would require that x2 = -1. !

Last edited:
But it's not X^2 + 1 = 0...

It's -X^2 -1 = 0, so X^2 = -1...which does not exist.

How would I tell that it was decreasing w/o a calculator?

The fact that the derivative is never equal to zero tells you that it must either always be decreasing or always increasing. Thus you need only look at the derivative at any point where it exists and if it's negative you know the original function is decreasing at that point and thus must be decreasing everywhere.

Edit: Also X^2 + 1 = 0 and -X^2 - 1 = 0 are the exact same equation, just move the terms to the other side of the equals sign.

Remember the derivative tells you the slope of the line at any point at which it's defined, the reason its zeros are of particular interest is because when it comes to differentiable functions if the function is going to switch from decreasing to increasing or visa-versa the derivative will be zero right when that switch happens. For instance draw the graph of f(x) = x^2, and then start drawing some tangent lines at various points, notice that your tangent line right at the point where the graph stops going down and starts going up will be flat, and thus have slope equal to zero.

Last edited:

Related to Exploring the Behavior of f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1)

1. What is the purpose of exploring the behavior of f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1)?

The purpose of exploring the behavior of this function is to gain a better understanding of its properties and patterns. This can provide insights into how the function behaves and can be useful in solving problems and making predictions.

2. What is the domain and range of f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1)?

The domain of this function is all real numbers except for 1 and -1, as these values would result in a denominator of 0. The range is all real numbers.

3. Is f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1) an odd or even function?

This function is neither odd nor even. It does not satisfy the conditions of an odd function (f(-x) = -f(x)) or an even function (f(-x) = f(x)).

4. What are the intercepts and asymptotes of f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1)?

The x-intercept is 0, as f(0) = 0. The y-intercept does not exist, as there is no value of x that would make the function equal to a specific y value. The vertical asymptotes are x = 1 and x = -1, as these values would make the denominator equal to 0. There are no horizontal asymptotes.

5. How can the graph of f(x) = (x) / (x^2 - 1) be used to solve real-world problems?

The graph of this function can be used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. It can also be used in modeling real-world situations, such as population growth or decay, where the function can represent the relationship between time and population size.