Exploring Strange Functions: Deriving and Approximating Transcendental Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an unusual function to approximate the sine function and the possibility of other functions that could approximate other transcendentals. The concept of Maclaurin series is also mentioned as a common method for approximating functions. The conversation also suggests looking into Pade approximations and Laurent series as potential generalizations of the Taylor series.
Tymick
I recently saw that the sine function could be approximated greatly by [1-(((2/pi)*x)-1)^2]^(pi/e) for
the range (0,pi) does anyone have any other strange functions like this that may satisfy some of the other transcendentals? (It'd be nice to find out how to derive the above formula too)

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know about maclaurin series?

The usual approximation is the Taylor series:
[tex]f\left(x\right) \approx \sum_n \frac{1}{n!}\left.\frac{d^{n}f}{dx^{n}}\right|_{x=a}\left(x - a\right)^n[/tex]
However, your function (due to the power pi/e) does not look exactly like a Taylor series. My best guess is that it's the Taylor series of something like [tex] f\left(\sin\left(x\right)\right)[/tex] and then the function f is inverted. The factor of e makes me want to guess its a logarithm, but I'd have to work it out.

The Maclaurinn Series are specific cases of Taylor series where we set a = 0. If you are very interested in series approximations of functions you can look up Pade approximations and Laurent series on wikipedia as well, as "generalizations" of the Taylor series. These *might* apply to your case, but I doubt it.

Related to Exploring Strange Functions: Deriving and Approximating Transcendental Functions

1. What is a sine function?

A sine function is a mathematical function that represents a repetitive oscillation or wave-like pattern. It is commonly used to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and various natural phenomena.

2. How is a sine function similar to other functions?

A sine function is similar to other trigonometric functions, such as cosine and tangent, as they all involve ratios of sides in a right triangle. It is also similar to other periodic functions, such as cosine and exponential functions, as they all repeat the same pattern at regular intervals.

3. What is the formula for a sine function?

The general formula for a sine function is y = A sin(Bx + C) + D, where A, B, C, and D are constants that affect the amplitude, frequency, phase shift, and vertical shift of the function, respectively.

4. How is a sine function used in real life?

A sine function has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and music. It is used to model the behavior of waves, oscillations, and vibrations, and is also used in signal processing, circuit analysis, and acoustics.

5. What is the relationship between a sine function and a unit circle?

A unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 and is often used to visualize trigonometric functions. The sine function can be represented by the y-coordinate of a point on the unit circle as it rotates counterclockwise. This relationship helps to understand the properties of sine and its connection to triangles and angles.