Exploring Spin Force and Curl in Electromagnetic Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the spin force, F_{spin}, which can be written as a cross product of two vectors, E and ∇E^{*}. The equations for Im(z) and Im(E\cdot\nabla E^{*}) are used to find F_{spin} and the identity for ∇×(A×B) is applied. However, there is uncertainty about how to handle the quantity [(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})^{*}].
jtleafs33

Homework Statement

I put this in the math forum because although it's for my EM waves class, it's a math question.

Show that the spin force can be written as:

[itex]F_{spin}=\frac{-1}{2}Im(\alpha)Im(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})=\nabla\times L_s[/itex]

Find [itex]L_s[/itex].

Where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is complex. I'm using [itex]E^{*}[/itex] to denote the complex conjugate of [itex]E[/itex]. Also, since these are all vectors, I'm omitting the arrow notation atop the vector quantities.

Homework Equations

[itex]Im(z)=\frac{1}{2i}(z-z^{*})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the relevant equations:
[itex]Im(\alpha)=\frac{1}{2i}[\alpha-\alpha^{*}][/itex]
[itex]Im(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})=\frac{1}{2i}[E\cdot\nabla E^{*}-(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})^{*}][/itex]

Substituting in,
[itex]F_{spin}=\frac{1}{8}[\alpha-\alpha^{*}][E\cdot\nabla E^{*}-(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})^{*}]=\nabla\times L_s[/itex]

Here, in order to make a curl appear, I'd like to apply the identity:
[itex]\nabla\times(A\times B)=A(\nabla\cdot B)-B(\nabla\cdot A)+(B\cdot\nabla)A-(A\cdot\nabla)B[/itex]

However, I'm not sure what the quantity [itex][(E\cdot\nabla E^{*})^{*}][/itex] looks like... I don't know how to conjugate this and I'm stuck here for the moment.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If E is a vector then I'm not sure what ∇E means. ∇.E would be a scalar, making E.(∇.E) problematic. Do you mean ∇×E?

E is the electric field vector. it is a function of position and time, so that's just its gradient vector, also a function of position and time.

jtleafs33 said:
E is the electric field vector. it is a function of position and time, so that's just its gradient vector, also a function of position and time.
If you have a scalar field f, then ∇f = grad f is the gradient vector. But here you say E is a vector, so I'm at a loss to understand what ∇E represents. See item e) at http://www.math.ucla.edu/~ronmiech/Calculus_Problems/32B/chap14/section5/930d31/930_31.html

Related to Exploring Spin Force and Curl in Electromagnetic Waves

1. What is spin force?

Spin force is a type of force that is exerted on a spinning object. It causes the object to rotate faster or slower depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.

2. How is spin force related to curl?

Spin force and curl are mathematically related concepts. Spin force is essentially the curl of the spin vector field.

3. How do you write spin force as curl?

To write spin force as curl, you can use the formula F = ω x m, where F is the spin force, ω is the spin vector, and m is the moment of inertia of the spinning object.

4. What is the significance of writing spin force as curl?

Writing spin force as curl allows us to better understand the relationship between spin force and other physical quantities, such as angular momentum and moment of inertia.

5. Can spin force and curl be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, spin force and curl can be applied to various real-world situations, such as the spinning of a top or the rotation of a planet. Understanding these concepts can help us analyze and predict the behavior of spinning objects in our everyday lives.