Exploring SHM: Types, Formulas, and Resources for A Level Physics Students

• Thread starter ehabmozart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, the conversation is about Simple Harmonic Motion and the person is looking for information and resources on the topic, particularly on pendulums and springs. They are studying A Level Physics and are seeking help and clarification on the subject. They are recommended to check out an A Level textbook for comprehensive information on SHM.
ehabmozart
Well, I've been into the Simple Harmonic Motion topic.. In my book, it's quite a small portion.. However, i know that it is much bigger. Can someone list me the types of SHM and formulas needed... Particularly about Pendulums and Springs... For example, I've read in a separate book something about pendulums realating mg for getting the restoring force.. Summing up, i need the full detailes about SHM or atleast links to good sites... I am studying Alevel physics (Edexcel).. Thanks in advance to whoever give me a kind hand! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try an A Level textbook (omg - not a web page??)? They contain all you need to know about SHM. A slightly older textbook may even have the derivation of the sinusoidal waveform using Calculus - but I don't think that is part of A level Physics any more.

Related to Exploring SHM: Types, Formulas, and Resources for A Level Physics Students

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth along a straight line with a constant frequency and amplitude. It occurs when the restoring force on an object is directly proportional to the object's displacement from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the formula for calculating the period of SHM?

The formula for calculating the period of SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

3. How does the amplitude affect the motion of an object in SHM?

The amplitude of an object in SHM determines the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. A larger amplitude will result in a larger displacement and a longer period, while a smaller amplitude will result in a smaller displacement and a shorter period.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion occurs when there is no external force acting on the system, while damped harmonic motion occurs when there is a resistive force, such as friction, acting on the system. This resistive force causes the amplitude of the motion to decrease over time.

5. How is SHM related to waves?

SHM is closely related to waves in that both involve periodic motion. In SHM, the object moves back and forth along a straight line, while in waves, the motion is typically a transverse or longitudinal motion. However, both can be described using similar mathematical equations and principles.