Exploring Saturn's Trojan Moons: Seeking Understanding & Respect

• Thread starter Dayle Record
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary, there is a conflict in the Political/Scientific communities regarding the possibility of life on other planets. While there is an abundance of molecular oxygen on Earth, recent measurements at Saturn suggest that there may be other lifeless processes that can produce oxygen in atmospheres. However, there is concern about the potential harm humans may cause if we were to explore and colonize other planets. Some argue that our global behavior is not appropriate for export and that we should focus on taking care of our own planet instead. There are also concerns about the possibility of encountering life forms that we do not understand or causing harm to existing ecosystems. Ultimately, the decision to explore other planets should be made carefully and with consideration for the potential consequences.
Dayle Record
I have copied over a statement from a JPL release regarding the "Trojan Moons", of Saturn. It is interesting to me that there is an automatic assumption of lifelessness on Saturn, even though there is Oxygen present.

I do respect life, and I also respect the sovereignty of the other planets in our Solar System. I think that taking a look at them is fine, but I don't think that we should be setting foot on any of them. The idea that Titan didn't blow up when we landed there, because there is no Oxygen, seems risky to me. What would have happened if we had somehow blown up Titan in some glitch that no one anticipated. Would we have just collectively said "Whoops", "Whoa cool man, look at that?" I think that whatever is there, belongs to Titan or its mother planet, and it should not have been risked at all.

I also do not think we should be on Mars, it is not our business if there is or isn't life there. We should better tend to and maintain the living systems of our home planet. I am probably much worse than the flat Earth folks. I consider it worrisome, that we create so much havoc on this planet, and consider ourselves sophisticated enough to travel to others.

Currently there is a conflict in the Political/Scientific communities, as there is an attempt to stifle the Scientific community that questions Political decisions made to expedite commerce. Is it a golf course they want on Mars? Is it factories, or mines? Is it a strip mall, or workers quarters?

I don't think our global ethic, our global behavior is appropriate for export. Here is the self-serving statement.

The abundance of molecular oxygen on Earth is uniquely tied to biology. But these new measurements at Saturn suggest there are lifeless processes associated with cold icy surfaces that may produce an independent pathway for the formation of molecular oxygen in atmospheres.

What if it is a life form that we don't understand? What if it looks like a sub Saturnian sea full of microbes, that though microbial, nevertheless has a huge group consciousness? Would we have the sophistication to understand that, or realize that we should not tread there?

Physics news on Phys.org
I consider it worrisome, that we create so much havoc on this planet, and consider ourselves sophisticated enough to travel to others.

The tendency to wreak havoc has no relevance to a people's sophistication for travel.

What if oxygen itself is conscious and suffers great pain when we breath it? Your 'wariness' could be applied to just about any possible action a human could take.

Try to talk sense...

I am agreeing to the fact that there exist life form that we do not recognize, but at the same time we do know that O is not living!
For Christs shake, do not confuse people!
:rolleyes:
I guess you should learn more about Si based life forms, proposed by SETI ans all...

Related to Exploring Saturn's Trojan Moons: Seeking Understanding & Respect

1. What are Saturn's Trojan moons?

Saturn's Trojan moons are a group of small, rocky bodies that share a similar orbital path with the planet Saturn. They are named after the Trojan War in Greek mythology, with one group of moons orbiting ahead of Saturn and another group following behind.

2. How many Trojan moons does Saturn have?

Saturn currently has 150 known Trojan moons, with 80 in the leading group and 70 in the trailing group. However, scientists believe there may be many more undiscovered moons in these groups.

3. What is the purpose of exploring Saturn's Trojan moons?

Exploring Saturn's Trojan moons can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our solar system. These moons have been relatively undisturbed since their formation, and studying them can help us better understand the early stages of our solar system's development.

4. How do scientists study Saturn's Trojan moons?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study Saturn's Trojan moons, including spacecraft observations, ground-based telescopes, and computer simulations. Spacecraft have provided the most detailed information about these moons, but ground-based observations and simulations are also important for understanding their composition and behavior.

5. What have we learned from studying Saturn's Trojan moons so far?

Through studying Saturn's Trojan moons, scientists have discovered that they have a diverse range of sizes, shapes, and compositions. They also have complex orbital patterns and interactions with other moons and the rings of Saturn. This information has helped us piece together a more complete understanding of our solar system's history and dynamics.