Exploring Quantum Physics: Finding the Best Department for Your Graduate Program

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student in Japan studying mechanical design of intelligent systems. During their fourth year, they will be focusing on research and their thesis, specifically in the field of molecular dynamics. Although their current research uses Newtonian mechanics, they have a strong interest in quantum physics and spend their free time studying it. They are considering applying for a physics graduate program and are seeking advice on which department would be most suitable, given their research background. They are also planning to apply for a Fulbright and will need to explain their shift in fields. They are open to any input or advice on their application.
blade86
Hello,
I am doing my undergraduate in the dept of 'mechanical design of intelligent systems' in Japan. During the fourth year we don't have any lectures and just work on research and our thesis. My field of research for the whole year will be molecular dynamics. Although this field uses Newtonian mechanics, i have become increasingly interested in quantum physics and spend most of my free time reading up on all the theoritical mathematics and physics involved. I would like to apply for a physics graduate program and am not sure as to which department will be most suitable considering my field of research. I am planning on appying for a fulbright this April so i also need to explain why I will be shifting fields.
Any input would be much appreciated. Sorry to have made it long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your question. It sounds like you have a very interesting background and are interested in exploring quantum physics further. The best department for you to apply to would depend on your specific research interests and the focus of the departments you are considering. Most likely, you will want to apply to a physics program, as this is the field that you have the most experience in and the one that you would like to pursue further. If you are planning to apply for a Fulbright, you should make sure to explain in your application why you are shifting fields and how your current research experience has prepared you for the new field. Additionally, it may be useful to get letters of recommendation from your current supervisors or other people knowledgeable about your research experience. Good luck with your application!

Related to Exploring Quantum Physics: Finding the Best Department for Your Graduate Program

1. What is molecular dynamics?

Molecular dynamics is a computational method used to simulate the movement and interactions of particles (such as atoms or molecules) over time. This allows researchers to study the behavior and properties of materials at the molecular level.

2. What is the goal of studying molecular dynamics?

The goal of studying molecular dynamics is to gain a better understanding of how molecules and materials behave and interact at the atomic level. This can help us design new materials, improve existing ones, and develop new technologies.

3. What are the applications of molecular dynamics?

Molecular dynamics has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, biology, and materials science. It is used to study protein folding, chemical reactions, material properties, and much more.

4. What skills are required for a career in molecular dynamics?

To pursue a career in molecular dynamics, one should have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages and experience with simulation software is beneficial.

5. Can undergraduate students participate in molecular dynamics research?

Yes, undergraduate students can participate in molecular dynamics research, typically through internships or research opportunities offered by their university. It is also possible for students to conduct their own small-scale simulations as part of their coursework.