Exploring Planar Rotation Commutativity via Direct Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses how commutativity for planar rotations can be proven through a direct calculation, which involves multiplying complex numbers and recognizing that they commute. This concept only applies in one dimension, specifically on the unit circle, and becomes more complicated in higher dimensions where the axis of rotation needs to be defined.
IN SU CHUNG
Commutativity for planar rotations follows from a direct calculation.
What does 'direct calculation' mean?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take two rotations ##a,b## and show that ##ab=ba##.

In the usual setting, this will be showing that two linear maps commute or that two rotation matrices commute.

Likes IN SU CHUNG
I think it means actually calculating ##ab## and ##ba##, working out the products of the rotation matrices for general rotations.

A nice way to do this, is to recognize that you are in effect verifying that complex numbers commute (and that this holds even when they are represented as 2x2 matrices). So consider a complex number

##a_1 + b_1 i##, given as

##\begin{bmatrix}
a_1 & -b_1\\
b_1 & a_1
\end{bmatrix}= a_1
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix} +
b_1 \begin{bmatrix}
0 & -1\\
1 & 0
\end{bmatrix} = a_1 \mathbf I + b_1 \mathbf i##

now multiply by some other complex number ##a_2 + b_2 i## and see that

##\big(a_1 \mathbf I + b_1 \mathbf i\big)\big(a_2 \mathbf I + b_2 \mathbf i\big) = \big(a_2 \mathbf I + b_2 \mathbf i\big) \big(a_1 \mathbf I + b_1 \mathbf i\big) ##

because ##\mathbf i## commutes with scaled forms of itself and the identity matrix ##\mathbf I## commutes with everything. Since you are talking about rotation matrices, you are constraining yourself to a determinant of 1 here (aka complex numbers on the unit circle).
- - - - -
edit: cleaned up some table formatting issues based on below hint

Last edited:
Likes WWGD
@StoneTemplePython
This was created by PF5, it "thought" you were making a table, so it wrapped TABLE HTML tags around the area.
New feature. If you get them and do not want them, toogle into bbcode (gear-like icon on the toolbar, far right).
Remove the two tags - most HTML tags have start and end like this [STARTME] ...blah blah [/STARTME].

You can do this on your next post, I think the one post above is old enough to have locked you out of edit. If you want I can clean them up, PM me.

Likes StoneTemplePython
Notice commutativity applies only in one dimension, meaning on the circle. Once you go into higher dimensions things become more complicated , where you have to define your axis of rotation.

1. What is "Exploring Planar Rotation Commutativity via Direct Calculation"?

"Exploring Planar Rotation Commutativity via Direct Calculation" is a scientific study that investigates the commutativity of planar rotations, which refers to the order in which rotations are performed and how it affects the final outcome.

2. Why is this study important?

This study is important because understanding the commutativity of planar rotations has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It can also provide insights into mathematical concepts and principles.

3. What was the methodology used in this study?

The methodology used in this study involved performing direct calculations to explore the commutativity of planar rotations. This involved using mathematical equations and computer simulations to analyze the effects of different rotation orders.

4. What were the main findings of this study?

The main findings of this study were that planar rotations are commutative if they are performed around the same point, but they are not commutative if they are performed around different points. Additionally, the order of rotations can affect the final outcome in certain cases.

5. How can these findings be applied in real-world scenarios?

The findings of this study can be applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in computer graphics to improve the rendering of 3D objects, in robotics to improve the accuracy of movements, and in physics to understand the effects of rotation on physical systems. They can also be used to optimize and simplify mathematical calculations involving planar rotations.