Exploring Physics: A Newbie's Questions on Space and Curvature

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of space and its curvature. The participants acknowledge that space itself cannot be physically bent, but rather it is the mathematical properties of space-time that make objects appear to move in a curve. This was confirmed by the bending of light rays, as predicted by Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. The concept of mass also plays a role in curving space, as seen in the example of the sun bending light from stars behind it.
Hankb
Hello,
I just joined. I have no formal background in physics, just curiosity. So, my questions may well be simplistic to most of you. Hopefully, that is permissible, now and then! First question, if space, as it's usually defined, is empty, nothing, how can it be curved?
Hankb

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hankb said:
Hello,
I just joined. I have no formal background in physics, just curiosity. So, my questions may well be simplistic to most of you. Hopefully, that is permissible, now and then! First question, if space, as it's usually defined, is empty, nothing, how can it be curved?
Hankb
"space is curved" is a very poor (pop-science) way of describing what happens. I agree w/ you that space is just a dimension, not something that you (or anything) can bend, but space-time has mathematical properties that make things traveling in it ACT from the point of view of Euclidean Geometry, as though they are moving in a curve. In reality they are moving in a straight line (more properly a geodesic) but they are doing so in Riemann Geometry (which is the proper geometry to use in space-time) so that we humans, who instinctively think in Euclidean terms, see them as "curved".

It was this "bending" of light rays that completely confirmed Einstein's Theory of General Relativity.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hankb said:
If space, as it's usually defined, is empty, nothing, how can it be curved?
"Curved" just means that it doesn't follow the rules of Euclidean geometry. So you could just as well ask, why empty space should follow those rules.

You could say that it is curving , just by knowing that a huge mass could make the space curve .
The most common example of the space curving is our sun , as we know that it has a huge mass , it curved the space , thus making it possible for us to so the light of the stars behind it . Even if we are seeing their light , they are not actually there ...

Related to Exploring Physics: A Newbie's Questions on Space and Curvature

1. What is the study of physics?

Physics is the natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world and how they influence the behavior of objects and systems.

2. What is space and how is it related to physics?

Space is the three-dimensional extent in which objects and events occur. In physics, space is a fundamental concept that is used to describe the location and movement of objects. It is also closely related to the concept of time, as the two are often considered together in the study of space-time.

3. What is curvature and why is it important in physics?

Curvature is a measure of how much a given space is curved or bent. In physics, curvature is important because it is related to the gravitational force and the shape of space-time. It is also a key concept in the theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity works.

4. How is physics used to study the universe?

Physics is used to study the universe by providing a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of celestial objects. It helps us to understand the formation and evolution of the universe, the properties of matter and energy, and the laws that govern the motion of objects in space.

5. What are some practical applications of physics in everyday life?

Physics has many practical applications in everyday life, including the development of technology and inventions such as cars, computers, and smartphones. It also helps us to understand the behavior of natural phenomena, such as weather and electricity, and provides the basis for many medical and engineering advancements.