Exploring Physical Theories of Interdimensional Travel

In summary: Null_boundaryPhysics Letters B 175 (4): 401–405.------In summary, theories about a multiverse are purely hypothetical and there is currently no evidence that supports the existence of these universes.
Rorkster2
I'm wondering if their are any unified physical theories that predict our universe to be a part of a multiverse in our own dimension? I'm looking for anything along the lines of stating that our universe is a star in a 'galaxy' of other universes that we can theoretically travel to if we could exceed the speed of light.

Physics news on Phys.org

No. All ideas about a multiverse are strictly hypothetical.

alexg said:
No. All ideas about a multiverse are strictly hypothetical.

Theories are in themsleves hypothetical. I'm quite aware that we only observe one universe, your missing my question.

Rorkster2 said:
Theories are in themsleves hypothetical. I'm quite aware that we only observe one universe, your missing my question.

No, theories, as the word is used in science are not hypothesis. Theories are hypothesis which have been verified by observation and experiment.

And I answered your question.

Darwins Theory of evolution was published in the 1800's, and he did not experiment before publishing his paper. How could he of? A theory is a set of ideas intended to explain something. Some theories have experiments that helped form them, not all. And if no was your answere then fine, but you said no...followed by a redundant statement that is of no help to my question which makes me believe your answer was directed to weather or not a multiverse is scientific fact, not about if their are theories about my question

Rorkster2 said:
Darwins Theory of evolution was published in the 1800's, and he did not experiment before publishing his paper.

This is patently false and shows that you've never read his book. The first 9 chapters of that book has nothing on a theory of evolution. Instead, it is all about his observations, i.e. DATA, the same as doing an experiment.

A theory is a set of ideas intended to explain something. Some theories have experiments that helped form them, not all. And if no was your answere then fine, but you said no...followed by a redundant statement that is of no help to my question which makes me believe your answer was directed to weather or not a multiverse is scientific fact, not about if their are theories about my question

Theories in physics have to be stronger than hypothesis. It must either be derived at logically from First Principles, or is a phenomenological model based on existing empirical result.

I will once again urge attention to our Rules that everyone had agreed to, especially our policy on speculative posts.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is patently false and shows that you've never read his book. The first 9 chapters of that book has nothing on a theory of evolution. Instead, it is all about his observations, i.e. DATA, the same as doing an experiment.

Theories in physics have to be stronger than hypothesis. It must either be derived at logically from First Principles, or is a phenomenological model based on existing empirical result.

I will once again urge attention to our Rules that everyone had agreed to, especially our policy on speculative posts.

Zz.

Stop splitting hairs with me please. I am asking a specific question and this has nothing to do with it. I'm asking for a theory with a specific criteria, not a lesson on reading your forum rules. If you think that somehow I have crossed a line in asking about a multiverse in the category 'Beyond the standard model' then maybe it is you who needs to go back and read your policy.

Rorkster2 said:
Stop splitting hairs with me please. I am asking a specific question and this has nothing to do with it.

Then you shouldn't have brought up Darwin's theory to shore up your argument, especially when it was based on a faulty understanding.

I'm asking for a theory with a specific criteria, not a lesson on reading your forum rules. If you think that somehow I have crossed a line in asking about a multiverse in the category 'Beyond the standard model' then maybe it is you who needs to go back and read your policy.

Which part of our policy are you claiming that I do not understand?

Note that if you have crossed that line, this thread would have been gone already! I only wanted to remind you, and everyone who intends to participate in this thread that the discussion HAS to stay within the Rules of this forum. Previous threads on similar topics have had tragic ending.

Zz.

It would seem that this site could use some speculative posts. Zappers should remember that the understanding of physics was completely changed via the discoveries of the early 20th century. It is speculative thinking that paves the way of discovery in this field.

bdavlin said:
It would seem that this site could use some speculative posts. Zappers should remember that the understanding of physics was completely changed via the discoveries of the early 20th century. It is speculative thinking that paves the way of discovery in this field.

Speculative work done by physicists in journals is completely different than the speculative posts done on public forum. Or are you not able to distinguish between the two?

Please scour through the Feedback forum just so you know that everything you've said here, I've tackled several times before. So tell me something I don't know.

Zz.

Related to Exploring Physical Theories of Interdimensional Travel

1. What is interdimensional travel?

Interdimensional travel refers to the theoretical concept of traveling between different dimensions, which are alternate realities or parallel universes that may exist alongside our own. It is often depicted in science fiction as a way to explore different versions of reality or to access different levels of existence.

2. How do scientists explore physical theories of interdimensional travel?

Scientists explore physical theories of interdimensional travel through mathematical models and theoretical physics. They use concepts such as string theory, quantum mechanics, and general relativity to try and understand the nature of different dimensions and how they may be connected.

3. Is interdimensional travel possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of other dimensions or the possibility of traveling between them. However, some physicists believe that it may be theoretically possible through advanced technologies or by manipulating the fundamental laws of physics.

4. What are some potential consequences of interdimensional travel?

One potential consequence of interdimensional travel is the disruption of the fabric of space-time. As we currently understand it, traveling between dimensions would require bending or breaking the laws of physics, which could have unforeseen consequences. Another consequence could be encountering alternate versions of ourselves or alternate histories, which could have ethical implications.

5. How does interdimensional travel relate to other theories, such as time travel?

Interdimensional travel is often linked to the concept of time travel, as traveling between dimensions could potentially involve traveling through different points in time. However, time travel specifically refers to the movement through time within our own dimension, while interdimensional travel involves moving between different dimensions. Both concepts are still theoretical and have not been proven to be possible.