Exploring One-Sided vs. Two-Sided Identity Elements in Groups

In summary, it is possible to define a group's identity element as one-sided, but this is not a theorem.
HyperActive
Hi
I'm taking a math course at university that covers introductory group theory. The textbook's definition of the identity element of a group defines it as two sided; that is, they say that a group ##G## must have an element ##e## such that for all ##a \in G##, ##e \cdot a = a = a \cdot e## .

Is it possible to define a group's identity element as one-sided, and then prove two-sidedness as a theorem? Or is it an intrinsic property of group identities?

I started with a left-identity ##e \cdot a = a## and tried to prove that ##e \cdot a = a = a \cdot e## and kept hitting walls, so I though I'd better check if it's doable.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you change the assumption that there exists a two-sided identity, how are you going to modify the assumption that each element has an inverse? That assumption mentions the two-sided identity.

Thanks for the reply Stephen Tashi. :)
In my book, the assumption that each element has an inverse is stated as follows: for all ##a \in G## , there exists a ##b \in G## such that ##a \cdot b = e##. That doesn't seem to rely on the two-sidedness of the identity element (and neither it seems to me does the left-handed version of the statement, for all ##a \in G## , there exists a ##b \in G## such that ##b \cdot a = e##). So other than noting that in these definitions ##e## refers to a left identity, I'm not seeing how I would need to modify them.

Could you please clarify this?

You can weaken the group axioms to require only the existence of a left inverse and a left neutral element:
(i) ## e g = g##
(ii) ## g^{-1} g = e##

Then every left inverse is a right inverse:
##g g^{-1} = e g g^{-1} = (g^{-1})^{-1} g^{-1} g g^{-1} = (g^{-1})^{-1} g^{-1} = e##
And every left neutral element is a right neutral element:
## g e = g g^{-1} g = e g = e##.
(The proof uses the fact that ##g^{-1}## is a right inverse, which I proved before.)

You can of course replace "left" by "right" and get similar results. You can't mix them, though: Having left inverses and a right neutral element doesn't suffice.

HyperActive said:
: for all ##a \in G## , there exists a ##b \in G## such that ##a \cdot b = e##. That doesn't seem to rely on the two-sidedness of the identity element

The point is that the meaning of the statement [itex] a \cdot b = e [/itex] depends on what you mean by the notation "[itex] e [/itex]".

Thank you both very much!

Related to Exploring One-Sided vs. Two-Sided Identity Elements in Groups

1. What is an identity element in a group?

An identity element in a group is an element that, when combined with any other element in the group using the group's operation, results in the other element unchanged. In other words, it acts as an identity or a neutral element.

2. Why is the identity element important in groups?

The identity element is important in groups because it helps define the structure and properties of the group. It also acts as a starting point for operations within the group and allows for the existence of inverse elements.

3. Can there be more than one identity element in a group?

No, there can only be one identity element in a group. This is because the identity element must satisfy the property of being the neutral element for all elements in the group, and having more than one identity element would violate this property.

4. Is the identity element the same for all group operations?

No, the identity element can differ for different group operations. For example, the identity element for addition in the group of integers is 0, but the identity element for multiplication in the same group is 1.

5. Can the identity element be any element in the group?

No, the identity element must be a specific element within the group that satisfies the properties of an identity element. It cannot be any arbitrary element in the group.