A cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements

That is, $G = \{e,a\}$. So, either $G$ has one element or two elements. In either case, $G$ is cyclic with only one generator. Thus, we have shown that a cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements. In summary, we have proven that a cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements by considering the properties of inverses and orders of elements in a group.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Show that a cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements.

I thought the following:

When $a \neq e$ is in the group, then $a^{-1}$ is also in the group.
So, when $a$ is a generator, then $a^{-1}$ is also a generator.

Is this correct?? (Wondering)

But I how can I use this to show that a cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements??

Or should I use something else to prove this?? (Wasntme)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Show that a cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements.

I thought the following:

When $a \neq e$ is in the group, then $a^{-1}$ is also in the group.
So, when $a$ is a generator, then $a^{-1}$ is also a generator.

Is this correct?? (Wondering)

But I how can I use this to show that a cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements??

Or should I use something else to prove this?? (Wasntme)

Hi mathmari,

By having an $a\in G$ different from $e$, you are assuming $G$ has more than one element. It's true that $a$ and $a^{-1}$ will generate $G$, but this does not follow from the fact that $a^{-1}$ is in the group. Instead, it follows from the fact that any element in a group has the same order as its inverse. Now, knowing that $a$ and $a^{-1}$ generate $G$ and $G$ has only one generator, you deduce that $a = a^{-1}$, i.e., $a^2 = e$. So $G$ has order two, with elements $e$ and $a$.

Of course, if $G = {e}$, then $G$ is cyclic with one generator. So all cases have been covered.

Euge said:
Hi mathmari,

By having an $a\in G$ different from $e$, you are assuming $G$ has more than one element. It's true that $a$ and $a^{-1}$ will generate $G$, but this does not follow from the fact that $a^{-1}$ is in the group. Instead, it follows from the fact that any element in a group has the same order as its inverse. Now, knowing that $a$ and $a^{-1}$ generate $G$ and $G$ has only one generator, you deduce that $a = a^{-1}$, i.e., $a^2 = e$. So $G$ has order two, with elements $e$ and $a$.

Of course, if $G = {e}$, then $G$ is cyclic with one generator. So all cases have been covered.

Have we proven in that way that a cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements??

Certainly. Either $G$ has one element (which is cyclic with only one generator) or it has more than element, in which case $G$ has only two elements.

mathmari said:
Have we proven in that way that a cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements??

Yes, but it might be hard for you to SEE.

Suppose that we have $b \in G$ with $b \neq a,e$. Since $a$ generates $G$, it must be that $b = a^k$ for some integer $k$. However, since $a^k = e$ if $k$ is even, and $a^k = a$ if $k$ is odd, there is no such $b$.

Related to A cyclic group with only one generator can have at most two elements

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical concept in abstract algebra that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that satisfies certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. Cyclic groups are typically represented using the notation (G, ∗), where G is the set of elements and is the binary operation.

2. What does it mean for a cyclic group to have only one generator?

A generator of a cyclic group is an element that, when combined with itself multiple times using the binary operation, can generate all the elements in the group. If a cyclic group has only one generator, it means that this generator is the only element that can generate all the other elements in the group.

3. Why can a cyclic group with only one generator have at most two elements?

If a cyclic group has only one generator, it means that this generator must be combined with itself multiple times to generate all the other elements in the group. However, a cyclic group by definition must have a finite number of elements. Therefore, if the group has only one generator, it can only generate at most two elements (the identity element and itself).

4. Can a cyclic group with only one generator have more than two elements?

No, a cyclic group with only one generator can only have at most two elements. This is because the generator is the only element that can generate all the other elements in the group, and a cyclic group by definition must have a finite number of elements.

5. How does the number of generators affect the size of a cyclic group?

The number of generators does not affect the size of a cyclic group. The size of a cyclic group is determined by the order of the group, which is the number of elements in the group. The number of generators only affects how the group is generated, but not the actual size of the group.