Exploring Oddities of Integer Relationships

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical pattern where an integer Z can be represented using a smaller integer z in a specific way. The conversation also mentions the potential difficulty in finding such sets and suggests using numbers with lots of divisors. Additionally, there is a side note about finding lists of numbers that have certain patterns. The conversation concludes by mentioning some examples of this pattern.
Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I come across some odd stuff online...

528836_325385777573552_804137390_n.jpg

... OK there's a typo for the 5 ... should be ##\small [\sqrt{9}]!-(9/9)## and the one for 7 looks a bit forced...
What I'm wondering is if there are other sets that do something like this ... i.e. so for a given integer Z, we can find another integer z<Z so that the integers ≤Z can be represented using the same n (integer) instances of z in each case.

It'll probably help of Z is something with lots of divisors ... i.e. Z= oh I dunno... 12.
Or is it just a case of "given sufficient cleverness" - which is to say that there are so many legitimate mathematical operations that it is always possible to create this effect?

Aside:
Millenialists take note: hold the clock upside down and all the numbers are made out of three 6's.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sure there are lists of that somewhere.

1=(X/X)^X
2=(X+X)/X
Those two are always possible.
9 is nice, as you can choose between 9 and 3 via the square root.
With small even numbers, it is tricky to get large odd numbers.

Related to Exploring Oddities of Integer Relationships

1. What is meant by "oddities of integer relationships"?

The term "oddities of integer relationships" refers to unusual or unexpected patterns or connections that can be found among whole numbers. These relationships can involve various operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and can often be observed through mathematical equations or visual representations.

2. Why is it important to explore oddities of integer relationships?

Exploring oddities of integer relationships can help us gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of the fundamental properties of numbers and their interactions. It can also enhance our problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities, as well as inspire new mathematical discoveries and innovations.

3. Can you provide an example of an oddity of integer relationships?

One example of an oddity of integer relationships is the Kaprekar's constant, which is a unique number that can be obtained by repeatedly performing a specific operation on a given integer. For example, when the number 6174 is used, the following sequence can be observed: 6174 → 7641 → 6174. This constant was discovered by Indian mathematician D. R. Kaprekar and continues to fascinate mathematicians and enthusiasts alike.

4. How can exploring oddities of integer relationships benefit other fields of study?

The study of integer relationships can have applications in various fields, such as computer science, physics, and cryptography. For instance, the concept of prime numbers, which are integers with only two factors (1 and itself), has been used in cryptography to create secure codes and protect sensitive information.

5. Are there any real-world applications of oddities of integer relationships?

Oddities of integer relationships have been observed in various real-world phenomena, such as the arrangement of leaves on stems, the organization of seeds in sunflower heads, and the distribution of nodes in certain biological networks. These observations have inspired mathematical models and theories that can be applied to these natural systems and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements.