Exploring Non-Linear Friction: A Drill Tip Analogy

In summary, the conversation is discussing the topic of frictional torque and its relation to linear friction. Equation 1 represents linear friction while equation 2 represents frictional torque. The question is about determining the amount of torque needed to overcome friction and start turning a shaft or drill. The formula for frictional torque on a flat tip of a round solid rod is T = mu*(d/3)*N, where mu is the coefficient of friction, d is the rod diameter, and N is the normal force exerted on the floor by the rod. Other shapes can also be considered for determining frictional torque.
Sumtwit
Hi everyone.

This is not a homework problem. I am very familiar with the case of linear(direction) friction.
[tex]F_{friction}=\mu F_{normal}[/tex] ...(1)
However my question is closer to something like this:
[tex]\tau_{friction}=\beta F_{normal}[/tex] ...(2)
Where [tex]\tau_{friction}[/tex] is a torque

Imagine if a shaft were to be making contact with the floor at its stub. Assuming the normal force that the shaft exerts on the ground is known. Then how much torque would need to be applied around the shafts axis to make it overcome friction and start turning.

Maybe another analogy would be a drill with a flat tip, how much torque would the flat tip need to overcome friction ?

Is equation 2 of the right form ? what name does this effect go by because so far I could only find references to linear friction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Frictional torque on flat tip of round solid rod, T = mu*(d/3)*N, where d = rod diameter, and N = normal force rod exerts on floor. This assumes the rod is normal to the floor surface.

Hi nvn, thanks that helps a lot. I see "frictional torque" doesn't appear to be a very well covered topic. I was surprised to see that it is a function of the dimensions of the contacting area.
Could you please guide me to a derivation of frictional torque ? I would like to find an expression for other shapes as well.

Pressure p = N/A; rod diameter D = 2*r2.

[tex]\begin{equation*}\begin{split}T
&= \int\int r{\cdot}(\mu\,p)\,dA\\[0.5mm]
&=\ \mu\,p\int\int r\,dr\,(r\,d\theta)\\[2mm]
&=\ \mu\,p\int_{0}^{2\,\pi}\int_{0}^{r_2}r^2\,dr\:d\theta\\[3mm]
&=\ (D/3)\,\mu\,N\end{split}\end{equation*}[/tex]

OK Thanks! that helps a lot :)

Related to Exploring Non-Linear Friction: A Drill Tip Analogy

1. What is non-linear friction?

Non-linear friction refers to the phenomenon where the force of friction between two surfaces is not directly proportional to the applied force. This means that as the applied force increases, the force of friction does not increase at the same rate.

2. What is the significance of exploring non-linear friction?

Exploring non-linear friction can help us better understand the complexities of friction and how it affects different surfaces. This knowledge can be applied in various industries, such as material science, engineering, and manufacturing, to improve the design and performance of products.

3. How is a drill tip analogy used to explain non-linear friction?

A drill tip analogy is used to explain non-linear friction by comparing the motion of a drill bit through a material to the motion of a block on a rough surface. The drill bit experiences varying levels of friction as it moves through different layers of material, similar to how the block experiences different levels of friction as it moves across a rough surface.

4. What factors affect non-linear friction?

There are several factors that can affect non-linear friction, including the surface roughness, contact area, applied force, and the materials involved. The type of motion, such as sliding or rolling, can also influence the level of non-linear friction.

5. How can understanding non-linear friction benefit society?

Understanding non-linear friction can lead to advancements in technology and product design, which can improve efficiency and performance in various industries. It can also help reduce wear and tear on surfaces, leading to cost savings and a more sustainable use of resources. Additionally, understanding non-linear friction can also aid in the development of more accurate models and simulations for predicting friction in different scenarios.