Exploring Matrix Theory: A Search for Answers

In summary: It wasn't as popular as The Matrix, but it was definitely out there. In summary, this article is about a movie called "13th floor" which discusses the theory that we are only living in computer simulations.
martine
Hi all,

I once read an article about a sort of matrix theory: that we are only a computer simulation which a supercumputer runs in the future to let the people experience there what the past was like. Does that ring a bell to anyone? I really need this article again but am not sure what search terms to use.

thanks a lot,
Maritine

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course The Matrix was a series of hit movies on this theme, and the first one spawned a number of philosophical discussions of its theme. Try "the matrix" in quotes plus philosophy.

A primer on looking at quantum physics from the cybernetic point of view. This is for liberal arts majors. Mostly concepts, no technical jargon, good illustrations
http://www.bottomlayer.com/

A philosopher named Nick Bostrom has written about this. I think he called it "the simulation argument".

The matrix theory...

Nothing more than a hollywood movie.

Fredrik said:
A philosopher named Nick Bostrom has written about this. I think he called it "the simulation argument".

hi fredrik,

thanks a lot for your answer. that's something to continue with. hope i'll find the article now :)

martine

Just like to point out that there can be two types of simulation arguments. One where we ARE the simulation. And the other where we are IN the simulation, relatively speaking.

perhaps this will help:

http://www.onwardoverland.com/matrix/philosophy.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Matrix-like theories have been around before the The Matrix films, but they became popularized after the release of the films.

-Brad Barron

Brad Barron said:
Matrix-like theories have been around before the The Matrix films, but they became popularized after the release of the films.

There was Dark City with Kiefer Sutherland, for example.

Many great films are based off great theories. Actually, most interesting themes for films are based off some form of theory or legend.

-Brad Barron

martine said:
Hi all,

I once read an article about a sort of matrix theory: that we are only a computer simulation which a supercumputer runs in the future to let the people experience there what the past was like. Does that ring a bell to anyone? I really need this article again but am not sure what search terms to use.

thanks a lot,
Maritine
There is a movie with the exact theme that you are talking about. It's NOT The Matrix however; I think the movie was called 13th floor. I could be wrong :(

The movie was about our time (and a few other time periods) only being simulations, and some guy entered one of these simulations, killed a few people, hopped from sim to sim, caused some havoc, etc etc

Related to Exploring Matrix Theory: A Search for Answers

1. What is matrix theory?

Matrix theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers. It involves studying the properties and operations of matrices, as well as their applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering.

2. What are the key concepts in matrix theory?

Some key concepts in matrix theory include matrix multiplication, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and matrix transformations. These concepts are fundamental to understanding the properties and behavior of matrices.

3. How is matrix theory used in real-world applications?

Matrix theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, including data analysis, image processing, quantum mechanics, and computer graphics. Matrices are used to represent complex systems and processes, and their properties are utilized to solve problems and make predictions.

4. What are some common challenges in exploring matrix theory?

Some common challenges in exploring matrix theory include understanding the abstract concepts, performing complex calculations, and applying the theory to real-world problems. It often requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a lot of practice to fully grasp the concepts and their applications.

5. How can matrix theory be further developed and expanded?

Matrix theory is a constantly evolving field, and there is still much to be explored and discovered. Some areas that are currently being researched include multi-dimensional matrices, non-linear transformations, and advanced applications in artificial intelligence and machine learning.