Exploring Limits in Polar Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of the function f(x,y) = xy/sqrt(x^2+y^2) as (x,y) approaches (0,0). The individual attempts to solve the problem using polar coordinates and realizes that the limit depends on the variable t, which can take on different values as the point (x,y) approaches (0,0) along different paths. The expert explains that in order to find the limit, the final expression must not depend on t, and provides an example using the Squeeze Theorem to prove that the limit is indeed 0.
quietrain

Homework Statement

find limit if exist, or not then why

f(x,y) = xy / sqrt(x2+y2)
as (x,y) --> (0,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

can i change to polar coordinates
x=rcost
y=rsint

so f(r,t) = rcostsint

so as x,y tends to 0, r t will tend to 0 too?but cos(t) at 0 gives me 1?
so i can only rely on r?

so i say since r tends to 0 , rcostsint gives 0 , so the limit exist and is 0? but what about the variable t?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
quietrain said:

Homework Statement

find limit if exist, or not then why

f(x,y) = xy / sqrt(x2+y2)
as (x,y) --> (0,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

can i change to polar coordinates
x=rcost
y=rsint

so f(r,t) = rcostsint

so as x,y tends to 0, r t will tend to 0 too?but cos(t) at 0 gives me 1?

When (x, y) tends to (0, 0), r will tend to 0, however t does not. This is because you can go to (0, 0) along many ways, so the angle t can be anything.

Say, if you go to (0, 0) along the x-axis from the left, then [tex]t = \pi[/tex].
If you go to (0, 0) along the y-axis from upwards, then [tex]t = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

so i can only rely on r?

so i say since r tends to 0 , rcostsint gives 0 , so the limit exist and is 0? but what about the variable t?

If you can prove that the limit of your final expression (in r, and t) will tend to some value L as r tends to 0, and that limit does not depend on t. Then your original limit is also L.

In your example, we have: [tex]-r \le r\cos t\sin t \le r[/tex]. And let r tend to 0. By the Squeeze Theorem rcostsint will also tend to 0 (no matter what value of t is). So we have:

[tex]\lim_{(x, y) \rightarrow (0, 0)} \frac{xy}{\sqrt{x ^ 2 + y ^ 2}} = 0[/tex]

Is everything clear now? :)

thank you so much!

Related to Exploring Limits in Polar Coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance (r) and an angle (θ) from a reference point.

2. How do you convert from polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates (r, θ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y), use the following formulas:
x = r cos(θ)
y = r sin(θ)

3. What are the limits in polar coordinates?

Limits in polar coordinates refer to the values of r and θ that a function is defined for. These values determine the boundaries of the graph in the polar coordinate system.

4. How do you find the limit of a function in polar coordinates?

To find the limit of a function in polar coordinates, you must approach the point of interest from all possible directions (θ values) and see if the limit is the same for each direction. If it is, then that value is the limit.

5. Can you graph functions in polar coordinates?

Yes, functions can be graphed in polar coordinates. The graph will have a circular or spiral shape, depending on the function, with the origin as the center point.