Exploring Life Perspectives: Survival, Doing Good, and Continuing the Human Race

In summary: Please find an appropriate site on which to discuss these topics.In summary, the conversation touches upon various perspectives on the purpose of life, including survival, doing good for oneself and others, continuing the human race, and finding personal fulfillment. The question of whether religion plays a role in this discussion is also brought up. However, the conversation is ultimately closed due to the nature of philosophical discussions not being allowed on the forum.
sadaronjiggasha
From my point of view:
1) survival
2) do something good to satisfy your inner soul and for others.
3) help to continue the race of human being
4) and die
What others think about life?

Physics news on Phys.org
A box of chocolates -- you never know what you are going to get

:wink:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, DennisN, Astronuc and 2 others
@BvU what is your view about life?

Not to be taken too seriously.

:wink: number 2

##\ ##

Likes sadaronjiggasha
From my point of view:
1) survival
2) do something good to satisfy your inner soul and for others.

3) help to continue the race of human being (i.e. reproduce yourself successfully)
4) and die

I struck off "survival" as I see it as part of successfully reproducing yourself. Once that is accomplished, no matter how long it takes, any life form usually dies. I really doubt that life forms where individuals live longer (i.e. "better at survival") are necessarily "better at life" than others.

I struck off "doing something good" as I really don't think nature (or God, or whatever you want to call it) cares about the well-being of any form of life per se. Usually, things that are helpful for accomplishing your mission of reproducing yourself successfully will feel good and what is not will feel bad, i.e. basic Darwinism stuff. Thus - like survival - "doing something good" is really part of the true mission in your life: reproduce yourself successfully.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and russ_watters
@Jack After successful reproduction done, what will be your goal to stay alive?

sadaronjiggasha said:
From my point of view……
Y’know, you are not the first person who has noticed that this is an interesting open question…..

There’s lots of previous work in this area. You may want to look at how people have tried to answer the question in the past, consider which of the previous answers to this question you think are mistaken and which are on the right track and how these can be further improved or built upon.

As a Physics Forums matter, though, this discussion is likely to become philosophy. These discussions aren’t allowed, not because we (all) think the subject is unimportant or uninteresting, but because of the difficulty of effectively moderating them.

Likes Klystron, topsquark and russ_watters
I asked here because I wanted the view of people who think scientifically not religiously. Otherwise so many people start to give advice me religiously. Just wanted to avoid them. (May be someone answer my question as "human are like another animal whose main goal is to reproduce itself" then you can move the topic to biology and medical, as human psychology falls into medical subject )

Last edited:
sadaronjiggasha said:
people who think scientifically not religiously
This assumes facts not in evidence.

PF has no requirements on the religion or lack thereof of its participants.

Plenty of scientists were religious people. Georges Lemaitre was a Catholic priest. Gregor Mendel was an Augustinian friar and abbot. I could go on.

Likes topsquark, russ_watters, sadaronjiggasha and 1 other person
I have discovered I am a low-key hedonist.
My purpose in life is quite self-serving: my purpose is to observe, experience and enjoy.

• Haha
Likes topsquark, russ_watters and sadaronjiggasha
What I ment despite their personal believe they will discuss logically. They would not say anything that they can't proof themself.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and sadaronjiggasha
Thread closed for Moderation.

Update -- Thread will remain closed. We do not hold philosophical discussions at PF.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark, phinds, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person

1. What is the significance of exploring life perspectives?

Exploring life perspectives allows us to gain a deeper understanding of our purpose and place in the world. It also helps us to develop empathy and compassion for others, as we learn about different ways of living and surviving.

2. How does survival play a role in life perspectives?

Survival is a fundamental aspect of life perspectives, as it is the driving force behind our actions and decisions. Our innate desire to survive influences how we view the world and the choices we make to ensure our well-being.

3. Can exploring life perspectives lead to doing good?

Yes, exploring life perspectives can lead to doing good by expanding our understanding of different cultures, beliefs, and values. This can inspire us to take action and make a positive impact in the world.

4. How does continuing the human race relate to life perspectives?

Continuing the human race is a central aspect of life perspectives, as it is a fundamental instinct for humans to ensure the survival of our species. Exploring different life perspectives can help us understand the importance of preserving our planet and ensuring the well-being of future generations.

5. How can exploring life perspectives benefit society?

Exploring life perspectives can benefit society by promoting understanding, tolerance, and unity. By learning about different ways of life, we can break down barriers and foster a more inclusive and compassionate society.