Exploring Lenz's Law: Magnetic Flux and Induced Currents

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Lenz's law to a set up with two magnets attached with like poles facing each other and moving through a copper coil. The law is always obeyed and results in a current through the coil that resists the magnets' motion. The discussion also touches on the concept of magnetic flux change through the coil and its relation to the movement of the magnets.
rayjbryant
TL;DR Summary
If I have two magnets attached with like poles facing each other, will they still exhibit the dampening effect of Lenz's law when moved through a copper coil?
I've attached an illustration of my set up.

Attachments

• ill1-page-001.jpg
    ill1-page-001.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 146
Physics news on Phys.org
rayjbryant said:
Summary: If I have two magnets attached with like poles facing each other, will they still exhibit the dampening effect of Lenz's law when moved through a copper coil?

Lenz's law is always obeyed. Otherwise you'D HAVE A PERPETUAL-MOTION MACHINE. tHERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.

iN YOUR CASE THE CURRENT THRU THE COIL WOULD FIRST GO ONE WAY, THEN THE OTHER, ALWAYS SUCH AS TO RESIST THE MAGNETS' MOTION.

Likes rayjbryant
Would there be a net current in one direction do to greater flux density of the South poles?

rayjbryant said:
Would there be a net current in one direction do to greater flux density of the South poles?
Because the two south poles face each other? No, because the flux between the two south poles is the sum of the flux due to each south pole.

Likes rayjbryant
rayjbryant said:
Summary: If I have two magnets attached with like poles facing each other, will they still exhibit the dampening effect of Lenz's law when moved through a copper coil?

I will ask you this: Is there any magnetic flux change through the coil as the magnets move through it?

Zz.

Good question.
Assuming the magnets are far away from the coil, move into then out of the coil in the opposite (could also be in the same) direction so the flux is initially and finally zero, then my hint is what you undoubtedly already know:
## \int_a^b f'(x) \, dx = f(b) - f(a) ## :smile:

Likes rayjbryant

Related to Exploring Lenz's Law: Magnetic Flux and Induced Currents

1. What is Lenz's law?

Lenz's law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

2. Who discovered Lenz's law?

Lenz's law was first formulated by Russian physicist Heinrich Lenz in 1834.

3. How is Lenz's law applied in real life?

Lenz's law is applied in various technologies such as generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in electromagnetic braking systems and magnetic levitation trains.

4. What is the relationship between Lenz's law and Faraday's law?

Lenz's law is a consequence of Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. Lenz's law explains the direction of the induced current in relation to the changing magnetic field.

5. Can Lenz's law be violated?

No, Lenz's law is a fundamental law of physics and has been experimentally verified countless times. It is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena and cannot be violated.