Exploring Kepler's Third Law for Multi-Object Systems in Visual Python

• Thread starter Suiram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics project involving recreating the solar system and measuring the speed variation of the sun caused by Earth and Jupiter. The goal is to find Earth's distance from the sun and mass. The equation for a system with more than one object is also mentioned, with two possible approaches - considering each planet separately or using numerical integration. The use of python and the Bayes theorem is also discussed as potential methods to solve the problem. Finally, the expert recommends using numerical integration as the standard approach to the problem.
Suiram
Hi, I am doing a physics project at school, which consists of recreating our solar system (with the sun and only 2 planets, Earth and Jupiter) with Visual Python. Then we want to measure the speed variation of the sun caused by both planets, to determine its period in a graph, which would allow us to find Earth's distance from the sun and Earth's mass. (In resume, I want to find an exoplanet, from a distance, in a binary system) But I just realized that Kepler's third law generalized (P^2 = (4 Pi^2 a^3)/(G(m1+m2)) )is for a binary system...

I was wondering if any of you know about the equation for a system who has more than one object? I'm looking forward to doing it with the whole solar system if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you're asking for is a solution for a gravitational three-body problem - a problem notorious for its complexity. Fortunately, you can consider the planets masses negligible when applying Kepler's law.

Last edited:
Well there are two ways to approach it.
1) consider each planet separately and calculate its effects on the Sun as if it were the only planet.
2) calculate all of the mutual forces of each object on the others and do a numerical integration.

#1 can be done using Kepler's laws and solving Kepler's equation. You'll have to sum the results somehow.
#2 isn't terribly difficult once you understand how to proceed with a numerical integration, but getting to that point can be tough going.

What we're going to do is make a graph using python, with the speed of the sun due to the interference of both planets, and try to find the individual effects of each since its going to show me 2 superimposed sinusoidal functions. Not really sure about how it's going to work, but I'm pretty sure that the three-body problem is pushing the problem too far. And we can't take both planets separatly, because we're trying to simulate it as if we were the observers and were trying to determine the characteristics with only what we can see from a distance. For the moment, we're going to try it with the Bayes theorem, using 6 factors instead of 3 (observed speed, period and phasing, times 2 because there are two planets). What do you think? Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Suiram said:
Any other ideas?
Numerical integration of the underlying ordinary differential equations. This is the standard approach.

Do it that way

Step 1: assume the sun is fixed and find the trajectories of the planets using Kepler's laws and completely neglecting any interaction between the planets.

Step 2: allow the sun to move now, use the planetary motion found in step 1 and find the motion of the sun by requiring the center of mass of the whole system to remain fixed.

Related to Exploring Kepler's Third Law for Multi-Object Systems in Visual Python

1. What is Kepler's Third Law?

Kepler's Third Law, also known as the harmonic law, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

2. How does Kepler's Third Law apply to multi-object systems?

In the case of multi-object systems, Kepler's Third Law can be used to calculate the orbital period and semi-major axis of each object, as long as the system is stable and the objects are not interacting with each other gravitationally.

3. What is Visual Python?

Visual Python is a programming language that is commonly used for scientific visualization and 3D graphics. It is based on the Python programming language and includes libraries and tools specifically designed for creating visualizations.

4. How can Visual Python be used to explore Kepler's Third Law for multi-object systems?

Visual Python can be used to create interactive simulations and visualizations of multi-object systems, allowing scientists to manipulate and analyze the data to better understand how Kepler's Third Law applies to these systems.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding Kepler's Third Law for multi-object systems?

Understanding Kepler's Third Law for multi-object systems can help scientists better understand the dynamics of planetary systems and potentially make predictions about the behavior of newly discovered exoplanet systems. This knowledge can also aid in the design and planning of future space missions to explore these systems.