Exploring John's Identity: Who Is He Really?

• Thread starter Langbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the concept of identity is complex and can only truly be understood through experience. Our identities are constantly changing and evolving, and even corporations can be seen as a collection of individuals with a shared goal. According to Buddhists, the true self cannot be defined or described.
Langbein
Who am I, and what is it that give this identity to this daily life person that I know as me ?

Should I say that I'm "John the taxi" driver or "John the teacher" or "John the neigbour", or what should I say ?

What is that or those specific properties that gives John the identity of the person John ?

Could it actually be that he/I actually do not have an identity, and that he/I is just "another John" ?

What is then "identity" ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Langbein said:
Who am I, and what is it that give this identity to this daily life person that I know as me ?

Should I say that I'm "John the taxi" driver or "John the teacher" or "John the neigbour", or what should I say ?

What is that or those specific properties that gives John the identity of the person John ?

Could it actually be that he/I actually do not have an identity, and that he/I is just "another John" ?

What is then "identity" ?

It takes having an identity to know what it is. Experience is going to help you understand what an identity is. Nothing else will help. Understanding identity can only come from experience.

If the two twin boys John and George living in the same family they will have one identity as long as their experiences are the same ?

What about my dog does it has an identity ? Will it know that it is that certain mydog dog ? Will it know that it is different from other dogs ?

"Cogito, ergo sum." --Rene Descartes

You can only know for certain that you and you alone exist. Anything else you perceive to exist (e.g. your dog, your twin brother) might be nothing more than a figment of your imagination. You can know for a fact that you exist when you realize that you are thinking. Because, things that do not exist do not have thoughts.

A corporation is a legally fictious person, but I think we are more alike then the people who invented them considered. when I address you, I am addressing a legal fiction as you are not the same person you were just a moment ago and will not be a moment from now. Your experiences, parts, and anything you might think of are in constant flux and never the same twice. Like a corporation, you are a collection that has access to resources and the desire to fulfill goals. Just as members of a corporation can change and yet the whole is seen as the very same entity over time, we are viewed as the same person and held accountable and/or rewarded for what we have done in the distant past. The buddhists speak of the NOT SELF. They point out that everything you can point to and discuss is not the true self, but also not not the true self... meaning that no answer is accurate in this direction. The REAL you is something you cannot point to nor discuss nor say is this nor that.

Related to Exploring John's Identity: Who Is He Really?

1. Who is John and why is his identity being explored?

John is a person whose identity is being explored for various reasons. It could be for a research project, a psychological study, or simply out of curiosity.

2. What methods are being used to explore John's identity?

The methods used to explore John's identity could include interviews, surveys, psychological tests, observations, and analysis of personal documents or artifacts.

3. What is the purpose of exploring John's identity?

The purpose of exploring John's identity is to gain a deeper understanding of who he is as a person, including his unique traits, behaviors, thoughts, and motivations. This can also provide insights into larger topics such as human behavior or cultural influences.

4. What are some potential ethical considerations when exploring John's identity?

Some potential ethical considerations when exploring John's identity include obtaining informed consent, protecting his privacy and confidentiality, and avoiding any harm or negative consequences for him as a result of the exploration.

5. How can the findings from exploring John's identity be applied or used?

The findings from exploring John's identity can be applied in various ways, such as developing interventions or treatments for specific behaviors or issues, informing educational or career decisions, or contributing to the overall understanding of human behavior and identity. However, it is important to use the findings ethically and responsibly.