Exploring Inequalities of Cosine: Understanding the Relationship Between p and x

In summary, Homework Equations require the use of LaTeX. Without it, the equations will not be solved.
medinap

Homework Statement

(cos(x))^p [tex]\leq[/tex] cos(px)

0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]pi half

and p, 0[tex]\leq[/tex](not equal) p [tex]\leq[/tex](not equal) 1

i need help, if some one can tell me how to started, what should i used i will really apreciate it! (sorry for my english :confused:)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6451/ine111es8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
without LaTeX

Nanie said:
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/6451/ine111es8.jpg
[/URL]

Hi Nanie! :smile:

Or, without LaTeX:

(cosθ)p ≤ cos(pθ)

0 ≤ θ ≤ π/2

0 < p < 1. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
:biggrin: jeje thanks

I'm friend of medinap...we really need help with this exercise!

First the professor...gave us (cos[tex]\theta[/tex])p[tex]\leq[/tex] cos(p[tex]\theta[/tex]) but he don't gave us the values of p (we asume that n is for all natural p=2(2n+1)...but yesterday! he made a correction that 0< p< 1

I don't know what to do

and sorry for my english too.

Your English is excellent!

Perhaps the simplest way to prove this is to use a Taylor's polynomial. [itex]cos(\theta)= 1- (1/2)\theta^2+ (1/4!)\theta^4-\cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]
so [itex]cos(\theta)\le 1- (1/2)\theta^2[/itex]. Now use the extended binomial theorem to take that to the p power. You only need the first two terms.

i don't know how to used it, explain me please!

i know how to used the binomial theorem, but i don't know how to used it with taylor's polynomial i don't even know what that is..

Hi medinap! Hi Nanie! :smile:

Hint: differentiate (cosθ)p and cos(pθ), and remember that cos ≤ 1.

(btw, you both need to be more careful about using the past tense …

it's "if some one can tell me how to start, what should i use …"

and "he didn't gave us the values of p (we assumed that …" :wink:)

ok thanks... I will try! jeje...I have one hour to think !

F([tex]\theta[/tex]) = cos ([tex]\theta[/tex]) p- cos (p[tex]\theta[/tex])

How I use this?

iah...I don't Know...

F(theta) = cos (theta)p- cos (p(theta))

Nanie said:
F([tex]\theta[/tex]) = cos ([tex]\theta[/tex]) p- cos (p[tex]\theta[/tex])

How I use this?

Hi Nanie! :smile:

(what happened to that θ i gave you? :rolleyes:)

What is F'(θ)? Is it positive or negative?

Thanks!

F([tex]\theta[/tex]) = p (sen[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]/[/tex]cos[tex]^{1-p}[/tex]) - sen(p[tex]\theta[/tex]) > 0 ...however ... cos (p[tex]\theta[/tex]) > cos ([tex]\theta[/tex])[tex]^{p}[/tex]

F'([tex]\theta[/tex]) = p (sen[tex]\theta[/tex][tex]/[/tex]cos[tex]^{1-p}[/tex] - sen p ([tex]\theta[/tex]) > 0 (positive)

We did it...?

Related to Exploring Inequalities of Cosine: Understanding the Relationship Between p and x

What is the definition of an inequality of cosine?

An inequality of cosine is a mathematical statement that compares two cosine values using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It expresses that one cosine value is smaller, larger, or equal to the other.

How do you solve an inequality of cosine?

To solve an inequality of cosine, you can use the properties of cosine and algebraic manipulation to isolate the cosine variable on one side of the inequality symbol. Then, you can use a graphing calculator or a unit circle to determine the values for which the inequality is true.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving an inequality of cosine?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an inequality of cosine include forgetting to switch the inequality symbol when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, not properly simplifying the equation before solving, and not considering the restrictions on the domain of cosine.

How are inequalities of cosine used in real-life scenarios?

Inequalities of cosine can be used to model and solve real-life problems involving periodic phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the movement of waves. They are also used in physics and engineering to determine the range of possible values for certain variables in a system.

How do inequalities of cosine relate to trigonometric identities?

Inequalities of cosine can be used to prove or disprove trigonometric identities. By manipulating and solving inequalities, you can determine the conditions under which a trigonometric identity is true or false. This can also help in simplifying complex trigonometric expressions.