Exploring Global Extrema of Multivariate Functions

In summary, the global extrema of the function f(x,y)=sinxy on the closed region given by 0<x<pi and 0<y<pi is (0,1), (0,pi/2), and (0,pi).
ookt2c

Homework Statement

Find the global extrema of the function f(x,y)=sinxy on the closed region given by 0<x<pi and 0<y<pi. You must provide a complete analysis of the function both inside the region and on each of the boundary lines. Be sure to clearly indicate the maximum and minimum values and all places where they occur.

Homework Equations

The first and second derivates of sinxy

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems hard!...But I think its not!{BUT IT COULD BE HARD!}All you need to know is the second derivative test for multivariate functions!That is D=(Fxx)(Fyy)-(Fxy)^2...the D is delta!...steps in the solution would be as follows:find the first order partial derivatives of f(x,y) with respect to x [df/dx=ycosxy] and with respect to y[df/dy=xcosxy] then equate these two with zero to have solutions of extreme points (y=0,xy=pi/2 and x=0)..subsititute these values into f(x,y) to have extreme values (0,1 and 0) respectively!The SECOND DERIVATIVE test gets in handy now,to show you where there are relative minima,maxima,saddle point or indeterminate cases and to provide an equation which will give us a region in the x-y plane to define x and y values which are present in the region of extremity...take 2nd order partial deritives [Fxx=-y^2 sinxy],[Fyy=-x^2 sinxy] and mixed partial derivative [Fxy=-yx sinxy]!...I'd advise now to have a table to evaluate D <from above,beginning> with proper correspondence...Cases are if D>0,and Fxx>0 then relative minimum,D>0 and Fxx<0 then relative maximum,D<0 then saddle point and when D=0 then it is an indeterminate case!..proper evaluation will correspond extremum points (y=0,xy=pi/2 and x=0) with Delta cases ( indeterminate, [(yx)^2-(pi/2)^2] and indeterminate) respectively,leave the indeterminate cases aside and focus on the middle...(xy)^2-(pi/2)^2=D...use the case conditions..1. to have relative maximum y<0 and y>pi/2x...2. to have relative minimum then y>0 and y>pi/2x and finally to have saddle point y<pi/2x!...And if you so much care an inderterminate case at y=pi/2x..KEEP IN MIND both x and y obey the initial conditions 0<x<pi and 0<y<pi!So might as well sketch a graph to demonstrate the FEASIBLE REGION.. !...contact me through gipstud@yahoo.com for further discussions.

Last edited:
The second derivative is irrelevant here. However the most important part of any problem is that you try! ookt2c, I see no evidence that you have tried at all. What is the derivative of sin(xy)? Once you have found it what are you going to do with it?

Perhaps the most important part of this problem is the reference to the "boundary lines". What is the boundary of the set?

HallsofIvy said:
The second derivative is irrelevant here. However the most important part of any problem is that you try! ookt2c, I see no evidence that you have tried at all. What is the derivative of sin(xy)? Once you have found it what are you going to do with it?

Perhaps the most important part of this problem is the reference to the "boundary lines". What is the boundary of the set?

eerm..Sir I think the second derivative test is very relevant!Its a multivariate function,how else would you be able to do it,leaving aside using completing the square<which is irrelevant> or graphing of the vertical traces?...and why are you asking for just a "derivative" instead of partial derivatives..I mean this is a multivariate function! Though I agree the poster shouldve shown his approach to determine level of approaching the question!

Related to Exploring Global Extrema of Multivariate Functions

1. What is the global extrema?

The global extrema refers to the highest and lowest values of a function or dataset within a given range. These values represent the overall maximum and minimum points and are used to analyze and compare the behavior of the function or dataset.

2. How do you find the global extrema?

To find the global extrema, you must first identify the critical points of the function or dataset, which are the points where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. Then, you can use the first or second derivative test to determine which critical points correspond to the global extrema.

3. What is the difference between global and local extrema?

The global extrema refers to the overall highest and lowest values of a function or dataset, while the local extrema refers to the highest and lowest values within a specific interval or region. Global extrema are used to analyze the behavior of the entire function or dataset, while local extrema provide information about specific parts of the function or dataset.

4. Can a function have multiple global extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple global extrema if it is defined over a wide enough range. For example, a sine function has multiple global extrema as it repeats its pattern infinitely.

5. How is finding the global extrema useful in real-world applications?

Finding the global extrema is useful in various real-world applications, such as optimizing business processes, predicting stock market trends, and analyzing weather patterns. It allows us to identify the maximum and minimum values of a system, which can help us make informed decisions and improve overall performance.