Exploring Galileo's Nightmare: Einstein's Universe

• A
  • Thread starter Boballoo
  • Start date
In summary: However, in the general theory of relativity, the curvature of space-time is seen as the primary cause of gravity, rather than mass being the cause of curvature. This was a major shift from Newtonian physics, where gravity was seen as a force exerted by massive objects on other objects. In summary, the astronomer is referencing the idea that the curvature of space-time, not just the distant Earth, influences the movement of objects. This is a key concept in the general theory of relativity. However, other physicists may argue that the relationship between mass and space-time curvature is more complex and interdependent.
Boballoo
TL;DR Summary
Old documentary says something odd about gravity that I don't understand.
I was watching an old documentary called "Einstein's Universe" from the seventies with Peter Ustinov. They were at a large observatory, outside by the railing, one story above ground, testing Galileo's theory of gravity using two weights of 1 KG and .25 KG of the same shape so air does not affect either one significantly. Dropping them, they both landed at the same time as expected, but one of the astronomers there, the one who dropped the weights, said the following:

“The reason those things all move at the same rate is that objects get their moving orders​
from the same piece of space. It’s not the distant Earth, it’s the space right where they are.”​

I have never heard gravity being described like this. What exactly is meant by this statement? Is he correct? Can someone explain what is meant here in the context of physics knowledge available in the seventies?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Quote "Mass tells space-time how to curve, and spacetime tells mass how to move." John Wheeler.
That is a brief description of the general theory of relativity.

The astronomer is referencing the second part of the quote.

Likes Klystron, Nik_2213, russ_watters and 2 others
Boballoo said:
What exactly is meant by this statement? Is he correct?
He is talking about the fact that a gravitational field exists there whether the objects are there or not. That is, the gravitational attraction does not come into existence when the objects are dropped, it was right there all along and influences the objects whether they are released or not.

Boballoo said:
“The reason those things all move at the same rate is that objects get their moving orders​
from the same piece of space. It’s not the distant Earth, it’s the space right where they are.”​
He could have added that "the spacetime where they are gets its shaping orders from the distant Earth".

Note that it's the shape of spacetime (not just space) that matters.

256bits said:
Quote "Mass tells space-time how to curve, and spacetime tells mass how to move." John Wheeler.
That is a brief description of the general theory of relativity.

The astronomer is referencing the second part of the quote.
I am not an expert in this field(!) but I seem to remember reading, maybe from Eddington, that it is a curvature of space-time that defines a mass, and not the opposite way round.

tech99 said:
I am not an expert in this field(!) but I seem to remember reading, maybe from Eddington, that it is a curvature of space-time that defines a mass, and not the opposite way round.
Mass (more generally the stress-energy tensor) and the curvature tensor are related by the Einstein field equations. In a sense, therefore, they both define each other.

Related to Exploring Galileo's Nightmare: Einstein's Universe

1. What is the premise of "Exploring Galileo's Nightmare: Einstein's Universe"?

The premise of "Exploring Galileo's Nightmare: Einstein's Universe" is to explore the groundbreaking theories of Galileo and Einstein and their impact on our understanding of the universe.

2. What makes this book unique compared to other books about Galileo and Einstein?

This book combines historical context with scientific explanations to provide a comprehensive understanding of Galileo and Einstein's theories and their relevance in modern physics.

3. Do I need a background in science to understand this book?

No, this book is written in a way that is accessible to readers with little to no background in science. The concepts are explained in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

4. Are there any interactive elements in the book?

Yes, the book includes interactive elements such as diagrams, illustrations, and online resources to enhance the reader's understanding of the concepts.

5. What can I expect to learn from reading this book?

By reading this book, you can expect to gain a deeper understanding of Galileo and Einstein's theories and their impact on our understanding of the universe. You will also learn about the scientific method and how it has evolved over time.