Exploring Finite Elements: A Practical Approach for Engineers

In summary, these books would probably not be suitable for someone with no prior exposure to mathematics and calculus.
tomcenjerrym
Hi,

I am taking FINITE ELEMENT METHOD and NUMERICAL METHOD in this semester of my college and I am looking for any ONLINE COURSE on them, if available, at reasonable price (or student price). If anybody here can suggest me about it then it would be appreciated so much. I wonder if there available any online course of them, well-organized, sort, comfort, like I was learning in my boyhood.

Please advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Search Google with "MIT","OCW","finite element method" or "MIT","OCW","numerical methods"

MIT offers several options in their online courseware.

Search Google with "MIT","OCW","finite element method" or "MIT","OCW","numerical methods"

MIT offers several options in their online courseware.

I know, but, the mathematic level is too high for me. Thanks for the reply.

Finite element method is a numerical method for solving partial differential equations! If one is doing FEM, one needs exposure to differential equations and calculus.

What is one's background?

Finite element method is a numerical method for solving partial differential equations! If one is doing FEM, one needs exposure to differential equations and calculus.

What is one's background?
I’m not sure when you’re saying “What is one's background?”.
However, I already studied differential equations, calculus, and linear algebra in my college and I am an undergraduate student of Mechanical Engineering myself.

tomcenjerrym said:
I’m not sure when you’re saying “What is one's background?”.
However, I already studied differential equations, calculus, and linear algebra in my college and I am an undergraduate student of Mechanical Engineering myself.
You indicated that the math level was too high. So I wondered what level one had achieved.

Normally in learning numerical methods, one is exposed to solving differential equations and integrals numerically, e.g. Euler method or Runge-Kutta for diffEQ's ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_ordinary_differential_equations ) or trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule for numerical integration ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_integration ).

Then there are systems of equations -
Much effort has been put in the development of methods for solving systems of linear equations. Standard direct methods i.e. methods that use some matrix decomposition are Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, Cholesky decomposition for symmetric (or hermitian) and positive-definite matrix, and QR decomposition for non-square matrices. Iterative methods such as the Jacobi method, Gauss-Seidel method, successive over-relaxation and conjugate gradient method are usually preferred for large systems.

One can look at this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_partial_differential_equations

which leads to
16.920J / 2.097J / 6.339J Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations (SMA 5212), Spring 2003
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Aeronautics-and-Astronautics/16-920JNumerical-Methods-for-Partial-Differential-EquationsSpring2003/CourseHome/index.htm

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Aeronautics-and-Astronautics/16-920JNumerical-Methods-for-Partial-Differential-EquationsSpring2003/LectureNotes/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I already download that courses before and read the files within the folder. Still too high of mathematics levels to me. Actually, I am looking a kind of interactive online course. Thanks.

There are two ways into understanding finite elements. The "modern" way is to treat FE as an general method for finding piecewise-continuous approximate solutions to partial differential equations (which tends to look more like pure maths than engineering).

The more traditional way is to focus on specific, fairly simple, practical problems (e.g. stress analysis of frame structures) and show how all the parts of the FE method fit together in practice, without trying to generalize or worry to much about WHY it works. Maybe you want the second type of approach rather than the first.

I don't know about online courses, but there are some short books by Hinton and/or Owen (published by Pineridge Press) that talk mainly about engineering and computer programming, not about Hilbert spaces.

Related to Exploring Finite Elements: A Practical Approach for Engineers

1. What are the benefits of taking an online course?

Online courses offer a flexible learning schedule, allowing students to access course materials and complete coursework at their own pace. They also provide access to a wide range of courses from reputable institutions, often at a lower cost than traditional in-person courses. Additionally, online courses allow for remote learning, making it possible for students to learn from anywhere in the world.

2. How do I know if an online course is accredited?

Accreditation is an important factor to consider when choosing an online course. To ensure that the course is accredited, it is recommended to research the institution or organization offering the course. Look for accreditation from recognized accrediting bodies in your country or region. You can also check the course's website or contact the institution directly to verify their accreditation status.

3. Are online courses as rigorous as in-person courses?

The rigor of an online course can vary depending on the institution and the course itself. However, many online courses are designed to be just as rigorous as in-person courses and require the same level of commitment and effort from students. It is important to research the course and read reviews from previous students to get a better understanding of its level of rigor.

4. How do I access course materials and resources in an online course?

Most online courses provide a learning platform or website where students can access course materials, lectures, assignments, and other resources. These platforms may also have discussion forums or online chat options for students to interact with instructors and classmates. It is important to familiarize yourself with the course platform and its features to make the most out of your online learning experience.

5. Can I receive credit for an online course?

Many online courses offer the option to receive credit or a certificate of completion upon successfully finishing the course. However, it is important to check with your school or employer to see if they accept online course credits before enrolling. Some online courses may also offer transferable college credits, but this will vary depending on the institution and the course's accreditation status.