Exploring $\equiv$, =>, and <=> Symbols

In summary: It is used to define a term or concept. Other symbols that may cause confusion include "=>", which is used to denote "implies" and "<=>", which means "if and only if". Other important symbols in mathematics include "+", "-", "*", "/", and "^" for addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation, respectively.
Dethrone
First day of school and I don't have much work. So I got bored and read ahead a bit. From a textbook my prof wrote:
282qt95.jpg

Can someone explain why they used the "$\equiv$"? I think it means "equivalent", but I'm not sure, but when are times you want to use that symbol rather than "equals"? What's the difference between the two, and any examples of other usages of the symbol, or when you would use one over the other?

Other symbols of confusion: "=>". I generally use this to mean "implies", like $3x+y=6 => y=6-3x$. How about that versus "<=>" which I also don't see too often. Any other symbols of importance? (Wondering)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
First day of school and I don't have much work. So I got bored and read ahead a bit. From a textbook my prof wrote:Can someone explain why they used the "$\equiv$"? I think it means "equivalent", but I'm not sure, but when are times you want to use that symbol rather than "equals"? What's the difference between the two, and any examples of other usages of the symbol, or when you would use one over the other?

Other symbols of confusion: "=>". I generally use this to mean "implies", like $3x+y=6 => y=6-3x$. How about that versus "<=>" which I also don't see too often. Any other symbols of importance? (Wondering)

Two expressions are equal for some specific value of the
variable, when they yield the same number,but they are equivalent when
they are equal for any value of the variable. Two equations are equivalent when they have the same solution set.It is not used to say that two equations are equal.
Two sets are equivalent when they have the same number of
elements,but they are equal if they have exactly the same elements.

$\Leftrightarrow$ is the symbol of "if and only if",at which the truth of either one of the connected statements requires the truth of the other, either both statements are true, or both are false

Last edited:
In the context of the above picture, the $\equiv$ symbol means "by definition".

Related to Exploring $\equiv$, =>, and <=> Symbols

What do the symbols $\equiv$, =>, and <=> mean?

The symbol $\equiv$ represents "equivalent to," meaning that the two sides of the equation have the same value. The symbol => represents "implies," indicating that the statement on the left side logically leads to the statement on the right side. The symbol <=> represents "if and only if," meaning that both sides of the equation are true or false at the same time.

What is the difference between => and <=>?

The main difference between => and <=> is that => is a one-way implication, meaning that the statement on the left side leads to the statement on the right side. Whereas, <=> is a two-way implication, meaning that both statements are true or false at the same time.

How are these symbols used in mathematical equations?

The symbol $\equiv$ is used to show an equality between two expressions. The symbol => is used to show the logical implication between two statements. The symbol <=> is used to show that both statements have the same truth value.

Can these symbols be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, these symbols can be used in other fields, such as computer science, logic, and philosophy. They are commonly used in computer programming to represent logical operations and in philosophical arguments to show relationships between statements.

Are there any common misconceptions about these symbols?

One common misconception is that the symbol $\equiv$ means "equal to," when in fact it represents "equivalent to." Another misconception is that the symbol => means "equal to," when it actually represents "implies." It is important to understand the correct meanings of these symbols in order to properly use them in mathematical and logical contexts.