Notation for Lists in Math: Symbol, LaTeX

In summary, there are multiple notations for representing a list in mathematics, such as ##\{A_i\}_{i=1}^n## or ##\{A_i\}_{i\in I}##, and sometimes just writing out the list as ##A_i## for ##i = 1, \ldots, n## is also acceptable. These notations can be used in LaTeX for convenience and cleanliness.
HJ Farnsworth
Greetings,

Is there a commonly accepted notation for a list in mathematics, of an identical form to Ʃ for a summation? If so, what is the name of the symbol (that would be used in place of L, below), and how would it be typed in LaTeX?

For instance, it might look something like,

[itex]L^{1}_{n}[/itex]Ai[itex]\equiv[/itex]A1,A2,...,An,

except that the 1 and the n on the LHS would be directly below and above the L, as they would be with Ʃ for a summation.

Obviously, this is not a critical issue, but I often run into situations where that notation would be convenient and cleaner than writing a full list or ...'s all of the time...

Thanks for any help you can give.

-HJ Farnsworth

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##\{A_i\}_{i=1}^n##

or ##\{A_i\}_{i\in I}## for some index set I (provided I is defined)

or just "##A_i## for ##i = 1, \ldots, n##"

Perfect, thank you very much.

-HJ Farnsworth

Related to Notation for Lists in Math: Symbol, LaTeX

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system and markup language used for creating documents with complex mathematical equations and formulas. It is widely used in the academic and scientific community for its ability to produce high-quality and consistent output.

2. How is LaTeX different from other typesetting systems?

Unlike other typesetting systems, LaTeX uses a plain text file with special commands and syntax to create a document. This allows for precise control over formatting and mathematical notation, making it ideal for scientific and technical writing.

3. What is the purpose of using LaTeX for lists in math?

LaTeX provides a standardized and efficient way to format and display lists in mathematical notation. It allows for consistent and clear presentation of information, making it easier for readers to understand and follow along.

4. What symbols are commonly used in LaTeX for lists in math?

Some commonly used symbols in LaTeX for lists in math include the bullet point symbol (\item), the numbered list symbol (\begin{enumerate}), and the unnumbered list symbol (\begin{itemize}). These symbols can be customized and modified to fit the specific needs of the document.

5. Are there any resources available for learning LaTeX and its notation for lists in math?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for learning LaTeX and its notation for lists in math. Some popular ones include Overleaf, TeX Stack Exchange, and the official LaTeX documentation. It is also helpful to consult with experienced LaTeX users or take a course on the subject.