Exploring Degeneracy in Energy Levels and Quantum Numbers in a 3D Box

In summary: The concept of quantum number is just a representation of the system state and they are associated with different wavefunction for different system. So, you are using the hydrogen quantum number which is a representation of the system state and it is associated with a different wavefunction.
indie452
okay this isn't exactly me asking how to solve a question but just to verify the theory in my head.

i need to calculate the 4 lowest energy levels for a 3d box (that has sides (2a,a,a)) and show all the quantum numbers (i imagine it means the x,y,z components of n, l, ml) and give the degeneracy values. also note the particles are spin-less.

this i can do but what i don't know is, considering there is no external magnetic field does the values of ml degenerate into a single energy value?
Basically do i count ml as a quantum number that affects degeneracy?

cause so far i have counted the variations of the n components and l components.
i.e if i have n(1,1,2) then the l values are(0,0,0 or 1) which results in 2 possibilities so degeneracy = 2.
so do i count the ml?

also the next question asks about if 3 identical non-interacting spin-less particles are confined in this box find the lowest total energy for these particles.
how would this work? i thought pauli exclusion principle prevented particles with identical quantum numbers being in the same state? and if all the qm numbers are the same it would have to be in the same state right?

thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You are talking about a 3D rectangular box, so why you are using the quantum number of a Hydrogen atom? Quantum number is just a representing number of the system state and they are associated with different wavefunction for different system.

Ground state means the 'allowed' state with the minimum energy. Here, the 'allowed state' means state satisfying the Pauli exclusion principle. Also, please do not mix the concept of quantum number and the energy.

what do you mean I'm using the hydrogen quantum number that i shouldn't be?

Related to Exploring Degeneracy in Energy Levels and Quantum Numbers in a 3D Box

1. What is degeneracy in energy levels?

Degeneracy in energy levels refers to the phenomenon where multiple quantum states have the same energy value. This means that the particles or systems in these states have the same amount of energy, but possess different quantum properties.

2. How does degeneracy in energy levels affect the behavior of particles?

Degeneracy in energy levels can affect the behavior of particles by allowing them to transition between different quantum states without changing their energy level. This can result in unique physical properties, such as increased stability or the ability to absorb or emit specific wavelengths of light.

3. What factors contribute to degeneracy in energy levels?

The degeneracy in energy levels is primarily influenced by the symmetries of the system. For example, a system with a high degree of symmetry, such as a spherical atom, will have more degenerate energy levels compared to a system with lower symmetry.

4. How is degeneracy in energy levels calculated?

Degeneracy in energy levels can be calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account the quantum numbers, symmetries, and other properties of the system. These calculations can help scientists predict the behavior and properties of particles in degenerate energy levels.

5. What applications does the study of degeneracy in energy levels have?

The study of degeneracy in energy levels has applications in various fields such as atomic and molecular physics, quantum mechanics, and materials science. It helps us understand the behavior of particles and systems at a fundamental level and can lead to the development of new technologies and materials with unique properties.