Exploring Cosmology through Challenging Problems: A Graduate-Level Workbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good cosmology problem book at the graduate level. The first option found on Amazon has mixed reviews, while the second option has good reviews but was criticized for its Kindle version. The speaker then mentions finding another book, "Cosmology and Astrophysics through Problems" by Padmanabhan, which covers astrophysical processes and cosmology. There are no reviews for this book, but the author's previous works have been well-received.
FourEyedRaven
Hi.

Are there good cosmology problem books at the graduate level?

Physics news on Phys.org
I found a book that might be exactly what I'm looking for.

"Cosmology and Astrophysics through Problems", by Padmanabhan
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521467837/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's a workbook covering astrophysical processes in part 1 (gravitational dynamics, fluid mechanics, radiation processes, and general relativity), and cosmology itself in part 2. There are no reviews for this book, but Padmanabhan's books on general relativity and quantum field theory have both excellent reviews.
jedishrfu said:
I found this one on Amazon (with limited so-so reviews):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/019966515X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and this has some good reviews (the bad was due to Kindle port of the book):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0122191412/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I have Dodelson, but I didn't know the other book. Thanks for the info.

Likes vanhees71

Related to Exploring Cosmology through Challenging Problems: A Graduate-Level Workbook

1. What is the purpose of a cosmology problem book?

A cosmology problem book is designed to help students and researchers in the field of cosmology to practice and develop their problem-solving skills. It contains a collection of challenging problems related to various topics in cosmology, such as the origin and evolution of the universe, dark matter and dark energy, and the large-scale structure of the universe.

2. Who can benefit from using a cosmology problem book?

Anyone with an interest in cosmology can benefit from using a cosmology problem book. It is commonly used by undergraduate and graduate students studying cosmology, as well as researchers and professionals in the field who want to keep their problem-solving skills sharp.

3. Are cosmology problem books only for advanced students?

No, there are cosmology problem books available for all levels of students, from introductory to advanced. These books may vary in difficulty and topics covered, so it is important to choose one that is appropriate for your level of understanding.

4. Can a cosmology problem book help me prepare for exams or research projects?

Yes, a cosmology problem book can be a valuable resource for exam preparation or research projects. It can help you review and reinforce key concepts, as well as provide practice with problem-solving techniques that may be needed for exams or research.

5. Are there any online resources for cosmology problem books?

Yes, there are many online resources for cosmology problem books, including websites, forums, and e-books. Some universities also offer online access to their cosmology problem books for their students. It is important to make sure that the online resource you are using is reputable and reliable.