Exploring Composition Relations: A and B

So S^{-1}S= {(4, 4), (5, 5), (6, 6)} (not "SS^{-1}"). Now, I'm a little confused about how you got your answer for (b). S= {(4, 5), (4, 6), (5, 4), (6, 6)} so S^{-1}= {(5, 4), (6, 4), (4, 5), (6, 6)} and S^{-1}S= {(5, 5), (6, 5), (4, 4), (6, 6)} so SS^{-1}= {(5, 5
YamiBustamante

Homework Statement

Suppose that A = { 1, 2, 3} , B = { 4, 5, 6} , R = { (1, 4), (1, 5), (2, 5), (3, 6)} ,
and S = { (4, 5), (4, 6), (5, 4), (6, 6)}. Note that R is a relation from A to B and S is a relation from B to B . Find the following relations:
(a) S ◦ R .

(b) S ◦ S−1 .

Homework Equations

S◦R = {(a,c) ∈ (AXC) : ∃ b∈B ((a,b)∈R and (b,c)∈S)}

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding what a composition relation is. I know you have to the path that connects R and S, but other than that, I don't understand it. This is my first example of a composition relation, so I have little to no prior knowledge in writing S ◦ R . I tried searching for examples online, but I can't find any. My textbook doesn't even cover any examples. I even attempted solving with a picture and "connecting the dots" just like teacher did to demonstrate what S◦R means, but it didn't help as much.
Here's what I have.

a) So I got that S ◦ R = {(1,5),(1,6),(2,4),(3,6)}
The answer is SoR = {(1,5), (1,6), (1,4), (2,4), (3,6)}
But I don't understand how they got (1,4)

b) So for the inverse of S = {(5,4),(6,4),(4,5),(6,6)}
I got that S ◦ S−1 = {(5,5), (4,6), (4,5), (6,6)}
(b)SS1 = {(5,5), (5,6), (6,5), (6,6), (4,4)}
So, I'm completely wrong in this one except for one.Can someone please walk me through how to get to the answers and why they are correct? Please don't give ambiguous hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
NEVERMIND I FIGURED IT OUT!

For others who saw this and wondered- R maps 1 to both 4 and 5 (because it contains (1, 4) and (1, 5)) while S maps 4 into 4 and 6 and maps 5 into 4 so SR maps 1 to 4 and 6- it contains (1, 4) and (1, 6). R maps 2 to 5 and S maps 5 to 4. SR maps 2 to 4- it contains (2, 4). Finally, R maps 3 to 6 and S maps 6 to 6 so SR maps 3 to 6. SR= {(1, 4), (1, 6), (2, 4), (3, 6)}.

[itex]S^{-1}[/itex] (not "S- 1") reverses the pairs in S: [itex]S^{-1}[/itex]= {(5, 4), (6, 4), (4, 5), (6,6)}. Of course, then, [itex]S^{-1}[/itex] maps 5 to 4 and S maps 4 to 5 so [itex]SS^{-1}[/itex] maps 5 to 5 Similarly, [itex]S^{-1}[/itex] maps 6 to 4 and S maps 4 to 6 so [itex]SS^{-1}[/itex] maps 6 to 6, etc. In fact, [itex]SS^{-1}[/itex] is the identity on B, {(4, 4), (5, 5), (6, 6)}, by definition of "inverse function"!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Exploring Composition Relations: A and B

1. What is meant by "Exploring Composition Relations: A and B"?

Exploring Composition Relations: A and B refers to the study of how two different elements, A and B, come together to form a new entity or system. It involves examining the interactions, dependencies, and connections between A and B, and understanding how they work together to create a larger whole.

2. Why is exploring composition relations important?

Exploring composition relations is important because it helps us understand complex systems and phenomena. By examining the relationships between different elements, we can gain insights into how they function and how they can be improved. This knowledge can be applied to various fields, such as engineering, biology, and social sciences.

3. What are some examples of composition relations?

Composition relations can be found in various contexts, such as in chemical compounds, ecosystems, and organizations. For example, in a chemical compound like water, the elements hydrogen and oxygen come together to form a new substance with different properties. In an ecosystem, different species interact and depend on each other for survival. In an organization, employees and departments work together to achieve a common goal.

4. How do you explore composition relations?

Exploring composition relations involves analyzing the characteristics and behaviors of the individual elements, as well as their interactions and dependencies. This can be done through various methods, such as observation, experimentation, and mathematical modeling. It also involves considering the context and environment in which the composition relations exist.

5. What are some potential challenges in exploring composition relations?

Some potential challenges in exploring composition relations include the complexity of the relationships between elements, the dynamic nature of these relationships, and the difficulty in accurately representing them through models. Additionally, ethical considerations may arise when studying composition relations in human systems. Furthermore, the results of exploration may be subjective and open to interpretation, requiring careful analysis and critical thinking.