Exploring Complex Mapping: Images of i, 1-i, and the Real and Imaginary Axes

In summary, we are looking at the complex mapping z → f(z) =(1 + z)/(1 − z) and trying to find the images of i and 1 − i, as well as the images of the real and imaginary axes. To find the images of i and 1 − i, we can use the method of simplification and find that f(i)=i and f(1 − i)=2. To find the images of the real and imaginary axes, we can plug in the values of x=0 and y=0 respectively.
Stephen88

Homework Statement

Let the Complex mapping
z → f(z) =(1 + z)/(1 − z)
1.What are the images of i and 1 − i and 2.What are the images of the real and the imaginary axes?

The Attempt at a Solution

For i we have f(i)=(1+i)/(1-i) since i(depending on the power) can be i,-i,1,-1=>0, (1+i)/(1-i),(1-i)/(1+i)
For 1 − i we have 1,-3,(2-i)/i,(2+i)/i.
Not sure about the second part..

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen88 said:

Homework Statement

Let the Complex mapping
z → f(z) =(1 + z)/(1 − z)
1.What are the images of i and 1 − i and 2.What are the images of the real and the imaginary axes?

The Attempt at a Solution

For i we have f(i)=(1+i)/(1-i) since i(depending on the power) can be i,-i,1,-1=>0, (1+i)/(1-i),(1-i)/(1+i)
I'm not sure why you're looking at the various powers of i. It only appears to the first power in your expression. Use the following method to simplify it:
$$f(i) = \frac{1+i}{1-i} = \frac{1+i}{1-i}\cdot\frac{1+i}{1+i} = \ ?$$

Sorry I was tired,thanks for the reply..how should I think about the both parts of the problem.?..Also.I"m getting -1 for f(i)

That's still wrong. You should find f(i)=i.

If z=x+iy is a point on the imaginary axis, you know that x=0, so you want to find f(z)=f(iy). Can you take it from there?

Related to Exploring Complex Mapping: Images of i, 1-i, and the Real and Imaginary Axes

1. What is a complex mapping?

A complex mapping is a mathematical concept that involves mapping points from one set to another, using a function. It is essentially a way of representing relationships between two sets of data.

2. Why is help needed with a complex mapping?

Complex mappings can be difficult to understand and visualize, and may involve advanced mathematical concepts. Therefore, help may be needed to ensure accurate and efficient mapping.

3. How is a complex mapping created?

A complex mapping is created by using a mathematical function to map points from one set to another. This function can be represented in various ways, such as equations or diagrams.

4. Can a complex mapping be used for real-world applications?

Yes, complex mappings can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They can be used to model and analyze complex systems and relationships in the real world.

5. Are there any tools or software available to assist with complex mapping?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that can assist with complex mapping, such as graphing calculators, mapping software, and programming languages like MATLAB and Python.