Exploring College Physics: A Comprehensive Guide for Self-Study

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a general physics book at an introductory to intermediate level, with a focus on electromagnetism, light, and radiation. Various textbooks are suggested, including Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli, Halliday/Resnick/Krane's Physics, and Kleppner/Kolenkow's An Introduction to Mechanics. Additionally, a book for math preparation, Div, Grad, Curl, and All That by H.M. Schey, is highly recommended. The preference for a book that uses algebra is also mentioned.
JETfusion
Can someone kindly suggest to me a general physics book that explains concepts thoroughly and provides exercises at an introductory (to intermediate) sort of level?

More specifically, I would like to learn more about electromagnetism, light and radiation. And I would like to self-teach myself the necessary mathematics (any math textbook suggestion would be much appreciated).

Our school does not provide an Advanced Physics class so teaching myself college physics will give me a great start.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for a book that uses calculus, or algebra?

My introductory physics courses in College used the book Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Giancoli

It's actually not bad in my opinion. It's pretty comprehensive over all the introductory phenomena (classical physics).

It's calculus based, and some of the problems could be a bit hard for an introductory level, but once you get the gist of it, it's not bad.

My first college physics class used Kleppner/Kolenkow's An Introduction to Mechanics, and I absolutely hated it.

I did really like Halliday/Resnick/Krane's Physics (although I used an older edition of it, so maybe the newer ones have gotten worse). It's split into 2 volumes, with the first focusing on mechanics and the second on Electromagnetism (as well as some Modern Physics sprinkled in at the end).

As for Math preparations, I cannot give a high enough recommendation to Div, Grad, Curl, and All That by H.M. Schey. It's not a formal or rigorous book by any means, but it helped me out way more than my Calc. II book did in just getting an intuitive feel for the vector calc that was needed for Physics II.

lisab said:
Are you looking for a book that uses calculus, or algebra?

I would like something that uses algebra. But I'll check out the ones already suggested. Thanks.

My physics teacher says Halliday & Resnick might be the best undergraduate physics text ever. Can't say which edition he was referring to. There's also the Feynman Lectures.

Related to Exploring College Physics: A Comprehensive Guide for Self-Study

1. What is "Headstart on college physics"?

"Headstart on college physics" is a program designed to help high school students gain a strong foundation in physics before entering college. It aims to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and problem-solving skills needed to succeed in college-level physics courses.

2. Who can participate in "Headstart on college physics"?

Typically, "Headstart on college physics" is open to high school students who will be entering college the following year. However, some programs may also accept current high school seniors or juniors who have already taken or are currently enrolled in a physics course.

3. What topics are covered in "Headstart on college physics"?

The specific topics covered in "Headstart on college physics" may vary depending on the program, but generally, it covers basic concepts in mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics. It may also include some introductory topics in modern physics.

4. How long is the "Headstart on college physics" program?

The length of the program can vary, but it typically ranges from 2-4 weeks. Some programs may be longer or shorter, depending on the intensity and depth of the material covered.

5. What are the benefits of participating in "Headstart on college physics"?

Participating in "Headstart on college physics" can provide students with a head start in college-level physics, allowing them to feel more confident and prepared in their courses. It also gives students the opportunity to develop problem-solving skills and learn from experienced instructors. Additionally, completing the program may also make a student's transition to college smoother and potentially save them time and money in the long run.